Favorite YouTube Channels?

When are you going to try the Hemmingway Burger? Sounds interesting.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen (a couple posted here and a couple others) and don’t know why he doesn’t have a bigger following. Mostly to the point, with a bit of humor tossed in but not in a gimmicky or artificial way that some of the bigger names have drifted toward. And he presents 4 minutes worth of information in 4 minutes, instead of presenting 4 minutes unnecessarily stretched out to 20 minutes.

My wife made me sit through The Sound Of Music early in our marriage. When she asked what I thought, I said it was an interesting 30 minute story needlessly stretched out to 174 minutes… That’s how I feel about some of these cooking youtubers.

1 Like

I forgot to mention this guy, Dylan Hollis. I don’t follow him too much but have from time to time thought I’d like to try some of the stuff he highlights. Like the history guy I mentioned above (Max Miller), he focuses on old recipes (specifically old US local cookbooks) and tries to recreate and/or improve the recipes he finds.

He’s pretty campy with his humor but I find him entertaining, and most of his YT productions are shorts, so most are only a couple of minutes long.

I keep saying I’m going to try some of the stuff he copies, but haven’t yet. This one linked below he found surprisingly good, but he’s not afraid to also post videos when a recipe is total crap. In those cases, he often runs a series of iterations to make them better.

ETA - here’s a short on one that didn’t turn out well.

Of the recipe author, he says, “This person has been to a dark place. Uhg, it lingers… …they’ve seen bad things…”

2 Likes

I don’t like some of the ingredients in that beau monde seasoning.
We had a similar burger in my family and the recipe came from an old KC restaurant, Bretton’s.
Green onions mixed in along with the egg plus spices.
Still love em.
:slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

The other Uncle Roger-Cowboy Kent one from a few days ago (on Uncle Roger’s channel) was too much. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I was kinda surprised to see a discada on the video. I thought that was just a West Texas and Mexico thing!

@bbqboy, did you have an ok Thanksgiving?

1 Like

Wonderful.
My sister and I went up the mountain and had the thanksgiving buffet at Callahan’s lodge.
No dirty dishes but no leftovers either.

3 Likes

My eponymous YT channel covers a lot of ground on lesser-known locations and dishes. There is an East Asia bent, but I try to make videos wherever works.

My most recent one covers Changsha, capital of China’s Hunan province, and home to profuse red chili peppers. However, the last 20 seconds are a wee-bit concerning.

Glad to hear any feedback.

5 Likes

I really enjoy Chef Jean-Pierre (funny guy), and Vincenzo’s Plate.

Can’t stand Chef John of the foooooo (whatever), and the weird way he speaks; I find it irritating.

2 Likes

I really like chef Lucas on Bon Appetit. Very knowledgeable and humble, and knows how to pick good restaurants. Lots of episodes recently in Hong Kong and Bangkok.

3 Likes

And in Bangkok/SE-Asia, of the numerous youtube vloggers, I find the roaming cook to be consistently enjoyable. Again, someone who knows his food well and easily mingles with the local people.

2 Likes

That’s my best visual approximation of his speaking style. I like his recipes but much prefer to read them than to watch (and hear) him go through it on a video.

1 Like

Second Lucas. I like his style.

I’ve od’d on most of the others: Weins, food ranger, strictly dumpling, chopstick travel, et al. These guys have fueled my travel lust, particularly to Asia. For that I thank them. But their schtick has gotten old and too much posing and giggling, not much actual content.

2 Likes

I do like Sunny on The best ever food review show. Didn’t care for him much at first, 6+ years ago. He grew on me.

2 Likes
1 Like