Favorite Summer Salads

I usually just dress greens with it because it has such nice flavor. Beets would certainly be good.
Sorry I’m not much help :frowning:

1 Like

Looks like it’s time to branch out beyond olive oil for our green salads and let the walnut oil earn its keep. Thank you!

I am making a stuffed pineapple for next block party! How retro and fun! Thank you.

1 Like

This is a new version of David Chang’s cherry tomato tofu salad. A friend went to Majordomo in Los Angeles, and this is an updated seasonal version they are serving using plums and basil instead of tofu and shiso.

Here is a recipe for the original version. The dressing is wonderful and works with any kind of tomato or soft greens.

5 Likes

What type of filling would you use, Bookwich?

Pineapples are great for parties. When pineapples are .99 each we buy a dozen and stuff them with a cold rice salad filling and topped with steamed chilled baby shrimp.

I like walnut oil on lentil based salads, helps give a basic lentil veg salad some oomph.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I like the idea of a shrimp salad. I’m going to ponder this and get back to you. :slight_smile:

Since I can’t edit, I am following up to add that I made the plum-tomato salad in the photo I posted above. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

We import olive oil from Greece. I know the grove owner from when I lived there. It’s expensive but it’s insanely good. We use it on salads, drizzled over any kind of grilled or roasted veggies, ahhhhhh… We also get a really delicious Balsamic from Restaurant Depot. Comes in a 5-liter (?) jug.

If you’re into active culture vinegars, almost any commercial cider vinegar will grow the culture if you open it & let it stand a week or two. The mother will look like a gob of phlegm floating in the vinegar. You can grow as much or as little as you like.

6 Likes

I love using walnut oil and sherry vinegar with bitter greens (not exactly summer salads, but still…), fennel or Belgian endive. I really love the rich nuttiness it adds.

2 Likes

I am a sucker for salads and need to eat them at least every 3 days as well. During summer, I use a lot of tomatoes and corn.

Some of my faves: Caprese, with super-ripe heirloom tomatoes from the farmers market, TJ’s burrata & basil (duh). Just dressed with TJ’s kalamata olive oil, fresh ground black pepper and some Maldon salt. Heaven.

Corn, tomato & celery salad, sometimes with the addition of avocado. I like to make an olive oil, balsamic and soy sauce dressing, with perhaps a touch of mustard.

Watermelon, feta & mint, also just dressed with olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lemon.

Greek salad.

4 Likes

Call me intrigued, thanks!

We get piles of greens from our CSA all summer and the flavor profile tends to be more assertive than what ‘s available in supermarkets. Walnut oil + sherry vinegar sounds like a promising change of pace.

1 Like

This is one of the neatest things I’ve ever read on this site. Does this apply to the regular apple vinegars, like Heinz? Or only to Bragg, etc.?

I’ve grown a new mother in Heinz & Admiration which are the two brands I use most often. We also use a lot of Balsamic, white balsamic & white vinegar all of which grow new mothers if left for a couple weeks. Generally, if we open a vinegar & it stands for a week or two we have to strain it. Most people think the mother floating around in it means it’s spoiled.

I haven’t looked lately but Costco used to sell ‘Organic’ cider vinegar & I’m sure that’ll grow a mother pretty quickly.

Also - according to some research - you can google this - ‘dead’ probiotics are almost as beneficial as live ones. I have no opinion on that - just adding into the info bank here.

1 Like

Bragg’s actually already has the “mother” in it which is part of why it’s cloudy

2 Likes

I gotta try this! Never would have thought to add soy sauce to a basalmic vinegrette

It gives it a really nice, deep & rich saltiness. I don’t add any salt to that dressing, but lots of fresh ground black pepper. It balances really well with the sweet-tart balsamic.

1 Like

We made this one with the defrosted edamame from TJs. Really nice dressing. We enjoy a textured salad and while we like all kinds of lettuce greens its the addins that make it great.

1 Like

I ordered a salad and it was a basic green salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumber. Great quality ingredients, but I wanted a bit more, so I added plums and feta cheese, and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette I’d made the day before.

Do you ever order salads and think, I can make this even better!

5 Likes

I rarely order salads out because i am constantly disappointed! There are some great salad mini chains here like sweetgreen but a lot of restaurants just make what you had- which clearly leaves a lot of room for improvement.

2 Likes