Favorite Summer Salads

@ttrockwood. Try tossing your dressing first with you coatings and the add your bread later and mix with the tomatoes later.

2 Likes

From The Guardian, more salads from Ottolenghi: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/30/summer-salad-recipes-courgettes-mechouia-cabbage-horseradish-carrot-radish-yotam-ottolenghi

Thanks for the link for the smacked cucumbers - delicious! Also, they reminded me of a side dish (that Iā€™ll happily consume in one settling):

Sliced, salted and drained cucumbers
Slivered sweet onion
Minced fresh dill
Sour cream
Mix all and refrigerate to allow flavors to develop.

6 Likes

Sans sour creamā€¦It fit the bill this week
quick and easy

2 Likes

Oooh, that sounds fabulous- i love fresh dill! I make those cucumbers so often itā€™s embarrassing to admit :wink: iā€™ll try this version next!

2 Likes

Itā€™s very good. Just remember to salt and drain, then pat dry the cucumbers, else youā€™ll end up with a puddle of water. Are there any decent vegan sour cream options?

Thanks for the tip! As for vegan sour cream, not that i have foundā€¦ I usually just swap in cashew cream with a little lemon

1 Like

I made a really refreshing salad over the weekend to go with some grilled sausages. I assembled it and let it ā€œmarinadeā€ while I grilled the sausages.

chopped cucumber (I use Persian cucumbers with the skin on)
a bit of chopped red onion
chopped parsley
chopped basil
couple cloves garlic (minced)
canned chickpeas (rinsed)
fresh lemon juice
good olive oil
feta cheese (cut into 1/2" cubes)
fresh pepper and a touch of salt

5 Likes

Here is another favorite of mine:

Thai Edamame Salad

4 cups of cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
1 english cucumber
1 cup edamame
2 med green onions
1/2 cup cilantro

Dressing
1/4cup peanut butter
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp veg oil
1 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp honey
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 garlic cloves
1 inch square of ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed pepper flakes
2 tbsp cilantro

5 Likes

Not sure itā€™s really a salad, but I grew up on and still enjoy what some call a Farmerā€™s Salad. Itā€™s cut up cucumber, radish, tomato, green or red onion, sweet pepperā€¦ all mixed into cottage or farmer cheese with salt and pepper to taste. I add a little sour cream to make it more creamy.

3 Likes

This sounds marvelous! (I have a rather strong obsession with cabbage and really like the Thai flavors.)

Is this a put together and serve or something that needs time to sit for a bit? And does it hold in the fridge very well?[quote=ā€œMidlife, post:30, topic:5857ā€]
a Farmerā€™s Salad.
[/quote]

Oh, my mother used to make something similar, with fresh veggies from the garden; Iā€™ve not thought of it in years! Thanks for jogging my mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

My grandmother used to make this ā€¦ I, havenā€™t thought about it in years :cry:
Does anyone remember light N lively garden style cottage cheese?

1 Like

Someone is still making it :slight_smile: ttp://www.aedairy.com/products/mr-es-garden-vegetable-cottage-cheese/

1 Like

Oooh, i need to make this! Thatā€™s like all my favorite flavors in one place! Once itā€™s dressed does it keep well? Iā€™m using nappa cabbage for slaws lately, just seems to have a more delicate flavor

1 Like

Yes, this is better if it sits a little bit. I think itā€™s ok to make the night before- I recall making it the day before for a work pot luck and all was fine.

1 Like

I think if you made it with Napa, Iā€™d let it sit for a few hours before consuming but I donā€™t know how well it would last overnight.

2 Likes

I made this tonight!! Such a fabulous combo! I used some cashew cream and added a tiny bit of cider vinegar since I didnā€™t have a lemon somehow. I also added in some edamame then flopped the mix on some quinoa and baby arugala to make it more of a meal. Will definitely go into regular rotation :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Summer is definitely here in Southern California (though you wouldnā€™t have known it this weekend!): while I donā€™t love the heat (a significant understatement), I do love the bounty of fresh produce everywhere, from Farmerā€™s Markets to local grocery stores to chain groceries.

And, as it warms and my kitchen becomes increasingly unpleasant to spend time in, my thoughts turn to salads. Whether a side salad or a main dish (my preference, to be honest), itā€™s that time of the year.

Last week, during the warm period, I made my favorite taco salad: Beyond Meat Feisty crumbles cooked with sauteed onion/garlic, some semi-drained salsa dumped in, along with drained/rinsed canned beansā€¦then a scoop or two of that over fresh greens, chopped tomato, avocado, diced onion, and some cheap tortilla chips, and I was good to go.

Soā€¦

What salads are you craving and making?

1 Like

I make this often, but without the onions. Itā€™s a classic.

3 Likes

Replying to myself :thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth::dizzy_face:I just looked at my previous post ā€¦ I left out the fact that I dissolve sugar and a bit of salt in white vinegar and pour it over the cucumber, onion, dill and in this case string beans, the longer it sits the better it is

5 Likes