Favorite Recipe Sites?

Also, a lot of North Americans use cassia instead of true cinnamon. Cassia has a heavier taste and scent than true cinnamon. The heavy scent of Cinnabon at the mall is cassia. I suspect some people that have an aversion to cinnamon have more of an aversion to cassia than to Ceylon cinnamon.

Interestingly, my cousin is allergic to cassia, but not allergic to genuine cinnamon.

2 Likes

Lots of great suggestions for sites and other avenues. I never think of Youtube.

Itā€™s also interesting that most peoples process is the same as mine. I search for a recipe, read a bunch of sites, compare ingredients and amounts and create my own take. Iā€™ve cooked long enough to know that I like cinnamon in a dessert, but not a savory dish. I donā€™t like cardamom, but never realized it was so divisive. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the thoughts, Iā€™ll be referring to this thread in the future.

4 Likes

I use cinnamon in quite a few Moroccan, Greek and Turkish savoury dishes. Itā€™s part of most moussakas, pastitsios and Greek makaronia with meat sauce. It also goes into Cincinatti Chili (Greek American influence)

Realize it isnā€™t for everyone.

My Greek Dish is one of my fav Greek blogs.

3 Likes

I donā€™t do a lot of Moroccan dishes, but Bastilla is one of my favs, and requires cinnamon.

But ā€œneverā€ in chili. (c;

You canā€™t catorgize Cincinnati chili in a southwest chili sense. Entirely another world :earth_americas:

2 Likes

Yup.

I also donā€™t say never when it comes to spices in chili or anything else.

Life is too short for rigid rules.
Cinnamon even shows up in some non Cincinatti chilis. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/tylers-texas-chili-recipe2-1943113

1 Like

There are many recipe sites that I follow to get authentic recipes, but most importantly I like https://www.therecipespk.com/ because of my contribution there. Plus their food always tastes great!

1 Like

Can you describe Pakistani cuisine for a lunkhead like me?

Pakistani cuisine has many of the characteristics of other South Asian countries - India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. As a Muslim country, ingedients will be halal. But itā€™s a large and diverse country, regarding its food. The further north you go, you find less use of chilli and food is similar to Afghan food. In the western part, you have similarities with Iranian dishes - in fact, many years back, when I first went to an Iranian owned restaurant, I thought the food was very much like Indian food, but without the chilli.

There is a much greater use of meat than in other parts of the sub-continent (although lentils and other non-meat ingredients are still important) and, as it is in the north, carbs are more often bread rather than rice.

I suppose the food that travels extensively is that of the Punjab which tends to characterise ā€œIndianā€ food in the West. Food like kebabs - seekh and shami kebabs for example. Or lamb/mutton curries, served with chappatis, naan or kulcha.

My favourite Indian restaurant is owned by an Indian but his family originate from the Sindh province in what is now Pakistan. As Hindus, his family had to flee the area at Partition and relocate to India. The restaurant menu does include one dish from his heritage and is still traditionally sevred in Sindh. Itā€™s daal pakwan. Traditionally, itā€™s a breakfast dish but Sandeep includes it amongst the restaurantā€™s starters. Itā€™s a quite spicy daal, flavoured with the sharpness of tamarind and amchoor (dried mango powder) served alongside crispy fried pakwan.

2 Likes

Who among us is still actively blogging? I started adding recipe links to my blog after a hiatus.

Iā€™ve never blogged. But in a reference to early posts on this thread, I am still making marmalade. By co-incidence, I made my annual batch yesterday. It usually lasts pretty much all year - I did have to buy a jar from the supermarket at the beginning of last month. And, no, itā€™s nowhere near as good as mine.

1 Like