Favorite places for Italian sandwiches? [NYC]

Troppo Stretto used to be my go-to for Italian sandwiches, but then they moved down to Greenpoint, and then they closed for good. They’re still my benchmark: bread with bite and chew (not squishy soft, not cutting the roof of your mouth), fresh ingredients (none of those afterthought lettuce and tomatoes, vegetables were as important as the cuts), and … well, I’m not a cold cut connoisseur, but I liked them. Eating one felt like engaging meaningfully with the world. Plus they came out of a little window at the LIC location. It was awesome, and now it’s gone.

But enough mourning, where else is good? I’ve randomly tried other places like Milano Market in Manhattan and Compton’s in Astoria and had an OK time (Italian sandwiches have a pretty high floor), but I don’t get the sense that these are the real go-to places for this sort of thing.

1 Like

Defonte’s
Leo’s Latticini

1 Like

I like mikes deli on Arthur ave, also, I’ve seen good sandwiches come out of the house of mozz as well. I’ve been wanting to try Steve’s suggestion of defontes forever, I’ve been to Leo Laticinos probably 50 times on the way to the us open but I wouldn’t take a ride out to corona just to eat there. Lionis in Bensonhurst is supposed to be good.

We’re pretty close to Milano, always a line at lunch and there’s also the problem that we don’t eat lunch, so haven’t been. A Regina’s opened on the ues, same problem.

Once a month or so I used to walk to sergimmo in Hell’s Kitchen from our office, pretty good stuff.

1 Like

I really enjoyed my Godfather hero from Sorriso, in Astoria, Queens. Also:

The Italian special at Leo’s Latticini, aka Mama’s of Corona, Queens.

The Valentino from Defonte’s Sandwich Shop, Red Hook, Brooklyn.

The Yankee Stadium Big Boy at Mike’s Deli, in the Arthur Avenue Retail Market, Belmont, Bronx.

6 Likes

Joining in the Defonte’s chorus. Stupid good sandwiches. Fast service, super consistent. I especially love the sandwiches with fried eggplant. It’s a cheat code, frankly.

Other picks? Sal, Kris, and Charlie’s is an obvious choice. Been hearing about Leo’s Latticini for ages but never made it out. Also a fan of Pisillo in FiDi. Quality ingredients and crazy value, considering their size and the shop’s location. I get the Montesarchio on seeded semolina: prosciutto, mozzarella, peppers, arugula, and balsamic. What more could you want?

2 Likes

veering off topic, this helped me get through the pandemic:

3 Likes
4 Likes

We had an extremely good sandwich at All’ Antico Vinaio before seeing a play on 55th St. Huge! Two of us barely finished it. It was the roast beef panino which is the new yorker IIRC. Want to try their grilled vegetable one next.

3 Likes

One of our best meals in Florence was a sandwich from All’Antico Vinaio and a scoop (or two or three) of gelato down the street.

The “La Summer” was our favorite.

4 Likes

When we used to go to Italy regularly, there was a sotto porteggio with a wine bar, an Egyptian kebab place, and a paninocatecca. I am not sure if this was not the original All Antico Vinaio. They used to set out torches and the area was light by torch light.

2 Likes

If we’re siguing to Italy, my epiphany was at a Rome sandwich stall that introduced me to a spinach and mozz panini. This became my “standing at the bar” breakfast order. Divine!

2 Likes

for human sized sandwichs, Sfilatino 57th St.
for a 2 meal, Pisillo Chelsea which I see has now moved to 38th St. Darn the Luck ! ! !

2 Likes

Faicco’s on Bleecker Street

3 Likes

wow I have to pile on with praise for DaFonte’s - just make sure you ask for the sesame semolina bread, its the best. We have happily eaten the beef and mozz dipped in the broth, but I think I like the sandwich with fried eggplant, mozz and maybe fried peppers the best. Its been a while, fewer reasons to visit that nabe since Fairway and now Gowanus Nursery have closed

2 Likes

If we are talking Italy (I dont really think we should unless we start a thread in the right place but trusting search here…) a sandwich we bought at Scopello Pane Cunzatu https://westofsicily.com/en/points-of-interest/pane-cunzato/ Scopello, Sicily a couple hours into a hike in the Zingaro nature reserve really tops any NY deli hero I have ever eaten. Perfect bread, perfect ingredients, warm not cold.

1 Like

DaveCook, joshpit, I just looked at Defonte’s menu wall and they have an Italian Tuna listed with lettuce, tomato, onions and black olives. No mayo apparently, probably oil and vinegar, which makes me wonder if it is a Pan Bagnat clone? Pan Bagnat is from the Nice region, not Italy, but do Italian delis prepare something similar? Hard boiled egg and anchovies are not on the description so it is not the same sandwich but it is close and I have been wanting to see what a deli would do with a sandwich I have tried to make several times. Mine is good, but a real one is probably much better. The only place near where I used to live prepared it with mayo, which is not what I was looking for.
Sorry for the OT question but I get to the NYC area most years, mostly for food destinations, and was planning to hit Pave on 46th for their PB, wondering if I should add Defonte’s to my list of go to places.
Though from the comments here, I should probably go there for the Italian Special or the fried eggplant and stick with Pave for the Pan Bagnat…
I have been waiting for the One Bite Pizza Festival to name a date, so I probably won’t be going again until September. Maybe I should try the Ninth Avenue International Food Festival in May instead.

That seems like the way to go, especially if you’ve identified a creditable pan bagnat at Pavé. Based on your lead, I might try one myself one weekday soon.

1 Like

You know that the guy who profits from this is not a good guy, right?

3 Likes

I have always wanted to try a bunch of different types of NY pizza, preferably in one place. One Bite is like a dream come true for me. I do not listen to Portnoy but I have heard he is either an idiot or plays one on the radio. But if I did not go to cafes because the owner/head chef was a loser, I would be ruling out a lot of the really good places. I want to go to that event because great pizza makers are going to be there, not because it is a Portnoy-organized event.

He’s a lot worse than an idiot. I don’t want to line the pockets of people credibly accused of sexual assault, no matter how good the pizza is at their festival.

3 Likes