Favorite New Recipes 2023

https://www.foodgal.com/2022/07/a-go-for-gochujang-gravy/

We have really enjoyed this recipe, I’ve made it innumerable times with various meat products, although our favorite is lamb. An easily adjustable, tweakable recipe, I most frequently serve it over rice cakes, but rice is equally delicious. Momofuku’s scallion ginger sauce is a favorite topping and a little extra chili paste is another option. My greens of choice were Swiss chard or baby lacinato kale as they were growing in a pot on the terrace.
The original recipe is from Ali Slagle’s “ I Dream of Dinner”.

14 Likes

Looks great!

I do love anything kheema-like. I used to make faux-bulgogi bowls which are similar but omit the gochujang in cooking (added later as a condiment).

I like the addition of greens here for a 1-dish meal.

4 Likes

And another favorite…that’s an understatement as I’ve made this 3x this past week. A simple sourdough that uses a starter up to 7/10 days old but I prefer a more recently refreshed starter. As the starter is only 6%, it doesn’t require much space. I just took this one out a few hours ago. It stays fresh for three days and makes excellent toast, I had the previous end of loaf with raspberry jam this morning. Both the white with 5% rye and the whole wheat with 20% , are excellent. I get extremely consistent results with this recipe. This was baked in a Corningware casserole soufflé style dish.

13 Likes

Exactly! The incorporation of greens is a winner!
And another variation:

7 Likes

I rarely make sweet stuff, but this summer I candied some violets from our yard and made these polenta cookies. I’ll give that another go during violet season.

IMG_8666

I made my very first stuffing! And I might make a second one at some point.

IMG_1765

This brussels sprouts babaganoush was a success, too.

IMG_1993

Looking through my pictures from this year, I did a lot of salad-y stuff with leaves from my balcony, sorrel in particular. I threw fried eggs around with abandon. And I put fish on top of things (see above).

14 Likes

Thank you for starting this thread, @Saregama. It’s my favorite thread of the year and I agree, the 3-cook rule sets a very high bar. Still, I’ve some qualifiers, many of which were introduced to me by members of this community.

ATK’s roast white-fish on potato rafts.

Lohikeitto (Finnish salmon soup).

NYT olive oil baked salmon (gift link).

NYT cheesy mac and kale (gift link).

Carnitas. Taking liberties with this one, as I cooked a large pork shoulder only once, but we ate it 8 times – and loved it every time. It’s back in my rotation to make in the near future.

Tacos De Papas. Not sure where my exact variation came from, but Umami Girl’s recipe is a good place to start any time you’ve too many leftover mashed potatoes.

No recipe links (just photos) for recipes from Erin Jeanne McDowell’s cookbook Savory Baking, but two recipes have become a household staple this year: Baby Baguettes and Overnight buttermilk biscuits.

ATK’s blueberry pan biscuit.

A yogurt-based quick Naan from The Tortilla Channel.

Blueberry Gateau from the Blueberry Hill Cookbook. Maybe not the best Blueberry Gateau recipe I made this year (that would be from the cookbook Gateau), but certainly the easiest, and therefore saw some repetition.

Chocolatey Chocolate Cake from Odette Williams

Chocolate zucchini cake from All Recipes.

Cake De Alsace from the cookbook Gateau, and as featured on Saveur’s website. In general, Gateau was the most life-altering cookbook of my year. I baked close to a dozen different cakes, several repeatedly, and learned more about the creative aspect of tweaking cake recipes than I ever anticipated when I first set out baking from the book. I’ve put on 3 pounds, and I blame this book.

Chocolate babka from Standard Bakery Pastries. OK, I only made this one twice, but it is killer good, very approachable, and will stay in my holiday baking rotation for a good, long time.

Serious Eats Strawberry Ice Cream.

Rose Levy Berenbaum’s Blueberry Ice Cream.

21 Likes

These have been frequent "go to"s this year:

I will post more as I think of it.

9 Likes

Adding some publication round-ups.

I’m guessing they count how many people saved a recipe rather than made it, which isn’t really a “favorites” or “popularity” list, just a bookmarking list.

I’ve made exactly one thing from the NYT list though I’m a regular reader — Gochujang butter noodles (right in line with umami / garlic noodles which were on my 2022 favorites, and a cousin of the scallion ginger noodles I made on repeat this year).

Appalled to see Coconut Saag and the horrible ketchup version of Indian-Chinese Chicken Manchurian on the list, which only confirms my suspicion that this is not a list of what people made, just of what they saved when they first encountered it :rofl:

I haven’t saved or made anything from the Bon Appetit list, though the peanut chicken noodles look like a nice extension of chinese takeout sesame noodles, and the gochujang sloppy Joe’s are yet another good way to serve @Nannybakes ‘s gochujang meat sauce.

Food52 and The Kichn published their lists mid-year for some reason and have yet to update them.

7 Likes

I’ve made the dumpling tomato salad with chili crisp from the NYT, and it was a big hit. Lulu has been bugging me to make it again. Aside from that I haven’t made anything on their list, although I want to make the goat cheese and dill Dutch baby.

5 Likes

From the NYT list, I’ve made the Mochiko chicken (meh), goat cheese and dill Dutch baby (not memorable) and the lemony Greek chicken, spinach and potato stew (good). I’ve made the soup twice now, and will make it again. That tarragon and cognac chicken is high on my list.

I didn’t make anything off of the Bon Ap list.

1 Like

I make dumpling “salad” a lot in that I make a similar chilli crisp, soy, sesame oil, and vinegar and dressing and toss TJs gyoza with it until absorbed. It’s a favorite travel food for me on long plane rides, because it eats well cold too. One of these days I’ll add some vegetables and eat it at home!

5 Likes

I will admit I know nothing of cake salé - I sent the link to my French friend (to be fair, she’s not Alsatian and has lived here for 50 years) and she said she’d never had any - but I’m really anxious to try some. This is my idea of dream bar food - or at least appetizers …. Wow.

2 Likes

Making this three times in the past week has landed it on my list.

Twice with macaroni, once with cauliflower. (A few modifications for our taste, of course.)

7 Likes

My favorite repeat from a recipe this year was yo po mian, which I make with TJ’s pappardelle:

I add a lb. of ground pork marinated lightly with Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, white pepper, and a bit of cornstarch and stir fry. I double the sauce, add the garlic to it, and add a little sugar. Serve with chili crisp at the table.

I also make a lot of “taco chicken” because my kiddo loves it: 3-4 b/s chicken breasts, a few Tbsp ea ranch dip mix and taco seasoning, about 1/2 c salsa, a squirt of tomato pasta, glug of oo, several bay leaves, sliced onion, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, and an envelope of Goya sazon. Slow cook 2-3 hr on high or ~6-8min at high pressure in the IP. Shred, toss with the sauce, and serve in flour tortillas with cheese, sour cream, and tomatoes.

I also plan to make this again soon:

I think I added chaat masala on top and various crunchy things like diced cucumber, crispy shallots, etc.

ETA:

Also enjoyed this pad krapow gai a few times. Also works with ground chicken.

And I made this once and plan to again, adding a thinly sliced chopped apple and slightly more sugar.

9 Likes

I haven’t been trying as many new recipes this year. I can’t think of any keepers right now, apart from my adapted Dublin Lawyer, where I substituted Cognac for whisky, added shrimp and cut down the amount of cream from 2 cups to ~ 2/3 cup. This American recipe includes paprika, mushrooms and green onions. Most Irish recipes are more simple, often just lobster, salt , pepper, whisky and cream.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dublin-lawyer-recipe-recipe-1945930

I did enjoy a chicken piccata pasta recently, using the flavours of picatta in a pasta dish. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chicken-piccata-pasta-toss-recipe2-1913492

4 Likes

This is a great list.

1 Like

Peanut Butter Chili Oil Noodles.
I don’t know how “new” this recipe is, but I tried it based on this video.
This is a quick and easy dish that really tastes good. Both Sunshine & I have very much enjoyed it.

7 Likes

From the NYT list, I’ve only made the mochiko chicken (fine, not super awesome) and a very modified version of the gochujang noodles (didn’t love, might have been too many changes).

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I’ve rarely met a version of peanut sauce noodles that I don’t like. I’ll have to try making these.

1 Like

I did substitute this Chamoy Sauce for his homemade chili oil/sauce. I also used chunky peanut butter, so pieces of peanuts were mixed in vs. on top.

My girlfriend doesn’t like food to be too spicy/hot. This sauce is milder (than his chili oil/sauce) and a bit more to her liking.

This is my version…

I found another version where I topped it with green onion (for some color)

5 Likes