Favorite Chinese restaurant in SF proper?

After all the research you did!

1 Like

China Live -

From my research, the dishes to go for seem to be:

• Dongbei Vegetarian Potstickers
  • Verdict isnā€™t out yet on Sheng Jian Bao; too doughy?
  • Peking Duck w/ Kumquat Glaze in Sesame Buns
  • Char Siu Baked Buns
  • Pork Belly Lotus Buns
  • people on yelp seem to like the Crackling Fragrant Garlic Chickenā€¦

To avoid:

• XLB
  • Marco Polo Zhajianmian Noodles (bland?)

How am I doing so far and whatā€™s missing other than a few mai tais?

What about deserts? Whatā€™s good?

I too had a disastrous Dungeness crab experience at R&G. I didnā€™t get sick, but it was all but inedible. I generally recommend Great Eastern for Cantonese as being more consistently good across the menu and less expensive.

You are correct, Mr. Jiuā€™s is not open for lunch. For the record, itā€™s not as expensive as you might think if you order judiciously. My daughter and I ate quite well for $110 exclusive of drinks, T&T. Hereā€™s my report from last Christmas:

Glad you backed me up on Montreal Chinatown for my love of its perennial lobster ā€œfestival.ā€ Back in the early 90s one restaurant featured two whole lobsters for $13.95 CDN. At the time, the rate of exchange was about 1.6, so that was less than $9 USD. We pigged out on that trip.

Take your BIL to Li Po for a Chinese Mai Tai. Nothing hipper.

1 Like

They had a decent Taiwanese-style beef noodle soup when I was first there (forgot what they called it on the menu). The shenjiangbao were sub-par (not enough grease, for one thing) but fun to watch being made, with the traditional huge cast-iron SJB pan and the wooden lid. A real bit of Shanghai nostalgia there.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t get this to upload last night, but here it is for your memory.
beijing

I knew that stretch of St.-Laurent pretty well because I often stayed at the Travelodge around the corner on Rene-Levesque. When I got in late (which was always, coming from SF) I would usually end up at Pho Bang NY or the Golden Fries place in the other direction, for a MIchigan or two. Wish I knew about the lobbster & beer place.

1 Like

Oh! The next time you visit your BIL in OC, you can school him in Sichuan food at Szechuan Impression in Tustin. I liked them way more than Z&Y.

Unless your brother is an SJB obsessive like many of us on the board, you should get them.

Whether as part of a dish or just as an aside, make sure to taste the house black vinegar from the table

In terms of cocktails, Iā€™m the wrong person ask. I will point out that iā€™ve had their cocktail with Sichuan peppercorns Twice, and neither time have I tasted Sichuan peppercorns.

Many of their desserts rotate. Soft serve is always excellent. Below is the Sesame Soft Serve, Mango Shaved Ice from July.

2 Likes

Thanks on all counts!!

Are those tapioca balls or lychees in the sesame soft serve and is it super sweet?

Re: cocktails - China Live has a bar - Cold Drinks - above it that serves some inventive cocktails. Iā€™ve only been once but remember my drink being good, but expensive. As you can see, it had a flower in it.

1 Like