Favorite Apple Cake

Mix together until well-blended:
2 cups of granulated sugar
1/2 oil
2 eggs

Add in:
4 cups peeled, cored, diced apples (I like a medium to large dice, used Granny Smiths)

In a separate bowl, whisk together:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt

Stir dry ingredients into the wet. Batter will be very stiff; incorporate as best you can (small amounts of the flour mixture may not completely disappear, but that’s okay).

Pour into greased and floured (or sugared) 9X13" pan and bake at 350-degrees for about an hour. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

1 Like

It’s that time of year, thanks. I may try it with a little bourbon or calvados

1 Like

Those sound perfect, @Biscuitboy. I was wondering what it would be like with a buttered rum-ish sauce (could you use calvados in place of the rum?).

Yeah, rum might be a better choice

A cake of sorts - we’ve always known it as Normandy Apple Cake, and have made this for 40 years or so.

It involves making several pancakes. That’s thin European pancakes, not thick American ones - crepes,as the French would say. You need about 10. You stack these up, on a baking sheet, adding apple puree between each pancake. It then needs a blast in the oven to warm through. Back in my drinking days, we stocked Calvados (although bottles never lasted long) and , from time to time would flambe the “cake”. Carefully cut it into segments to serve. You’ll want some cream with it.