Fathers Day at True North Ale Co. [Ipswich MA]

Had a really lovely Fathers Day yesterday. Right up until we left home around 10:30 am, I was still fretting my choice in true Chowhound/Hungry Onion fashion. I was wavering between Notch in Salem and True North in Ipswich. In the end, beer and peripheral activities won out. While I think Notch would’ve been more picturesque with its riverside location, I didn’t realize that they produce only session beers. Not our favored “style,” though session is not really a style, but we do like a bit of octane. Plus, they were doing a Fathers Day giveaway of free stainless steel water bottles to dads, so I think it was going to be a zoo. (Does anyone have experience with Notch taproom? Fun? Too crowded? Decent food offerings?)

We stopped first into Ipswich River Audubon, spring onion’s first time there and he loved everything, from the “secret stairs and bridges” that I told him woodland elves built (“oh mama, they must be vewy busy”) to the pathway cut through the giant boulders; turtles; blue herons on the boardwalk, da kid was so happy.

Then onto True North taproom, where Chez Rafiki food truck was parked for the day. Not too crowded when we arrived close to 1 pm but filled up quite a bit when we left almost 2 hours later. Nice space, though a bit generic but 2 big lovely local photographs on walls. Lots of board games to keep kids occupied, one flat screen TV with World Cup mounted way up on a wall (we love us some footie!), picnic tables outside, nice tables and benches inside (we stayed inside). I got a falafel pita, B a chicken shwarma pita and fries. Fries were of the thin, crispy, McD’s style (ie, yum). Our sandwiches were good, not great, but they went well with Northern Haze (unfiltered IPA) and Ice Bucket IPA. B tried my Northern Haze and got that for his 2nd round. Pretzel with maple honey sauce was good, too (they have pretzels and nuts for sale). We got a 4-pack of the Squared New England Double IPA to go. As you would expect, friendly service and a chill atmosphere.

We ended the day at tiny Pavilion Beach - a very low-key, workingman’s beach if you’ve never been. You don’t go for the waves or scenery or beach walking, but just to catch some ocean breezes with no stress (there is no charge to park). It’s a spring onion’s dream because they can go to the pirate ship playground when they are done at the beach. Though we love Crane Beach, it’s just too crazy in the summertime so we’ll stick with places like Pavilion for now.

We did a similar daytrip last summer, hitting up Ipswich Ale Brewery coupled with the beach/playground. Choate Bridge Pub in the vicinity completes the trifecta of food possibilities.

[Also, how is White Farms ice cream? We considered stopping but it was getting late. The mini golf looks fun, too.]

2 Likes

A proper Father’s Day! I’m also curious about the Notch tap room - I have business across the street from time to time though never managed to stop in. Though I can highly recommend Finz nearby.

1 Like

Sounds like an idyllic, low-key brewery and beach day. Staycation days are in the cards for us this summer, so True North is going on our list.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

What a fun read, thanks!

1 Like

I went to White Farms once, and I remember liking it a lot. That has to be more than ten years ago, though!

1 Like