False Fast Food…

They’ve been getting away with this for decades. Anybody think this will go anywhere?

I’m still waiting for a taco truck on every corner.

2 Likes

I suppose it depends, firstly, on the legislative basis in that jurisdiction for claims for false or misleading advertising. And then, obviously, a discussion as to whether the claims are actually false or misleading.

My understanding (albeit not very much) of this matter is that, if this was in the UK, there would be a pretty clear breach of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations which makes misleading advertising claims illegal. Back in 2010, BK was investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority over similar claims here over the size of its chicken burger. The claim was upheld.

2 Likes

Interesting. So in the UK… does your fast food order better resemble the photos in ads and on the menu, or do they just tone down those photos?

Considering what advertisers do to make food look pretty, I’m not sure I want them to deliver what’s shown in the pictures!

Kidding aside, Axios has a summary of several similar lawsuits going on right now and clarifies some details… Shrinkflation tricks are getting pretty ridiculous, IMO.

2 Likes

I don’t eat a lot of fast food (and, when I do, it tends to be independents, like kebab shops… Lunch at a McD a couple of weeks back was the first time in 2 or 3 years that I’ve eaten at an American style fast food chain. So, without a lot of experience here, I’d say that the food generally resembles the photos.

By the by, chain restaurants here are required to publish an item’s calorie count on the menu. Same near you?

Not that I eat at Subway, but I was irked when an individual posted a picture of an 11" - foot long sub.
For me, I think a foot long sub should be 12 inches long, as a foot is an official measurement and 12 inches equals a foot – not 11.

2 Likes

The “short foot” story as reported in the UK in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/01/size-matters-subway-promises-its-footlong-sandwiches-will-be-a-foot-long#:~:text=Subway%20customers%20can%20finally%20rest,at%20least%2012%20inches%20long.

Yeah… been that way for a while.

Thanks for posting the resolution. I never followed up to see what “shook out” from that matter.

The centre of my nearby town is not well endowed with lunch options, so some years back when I was spending a day per week there, lunch near where I was doing research was limited to Subway, Mc D or the Chinese buffet. I did often wonder ,but never measured, if a “foot long” in the UK was actually 12 inches, as very few official measurements are not metric (beer, baby weight, road speed). But I suppose a “300mm sub” doesnt really trip off the tongue… I wonder how they market the product in other countries which have never had inches?

1 Like

Another campaign promise broken.

1 Like

That will be your reward in the afterlife. I’m with that sentiment, though.

1 Like