Fall 2021 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING

yes of course!

2 Likes

I strikes me that SLAVIC incorporates both SOUP and DUMPLING categories from our previous dust-up.

1 Like

I think there’s actually a good bit of overlap between Slavic and Mediterranean (including the current Greek) as well. (My nephews had a Serbian babysitter, and many of the salads and pies - cheese, meat, etc - that she shared could just as easily have come from my Greek friend’s mom.)

2 Likes

I think Georgia, Hungary and Romania may fall into this category as well …

There’s certainly overlap since many Slavic ppl were taken to the Ottoman Empire, and FYROM Macedonia/ Croatia/ Serbia/ Bosnia/ Bulgaria are Slavic countries as well as part of the Former Ottoman Empire ….

Also, Black Sea Greeks were booted out of the Black Sea countries , bringing some Slavic traditions to Greece after the population exchange 100ish years ago.

But I’d also suggest there’s overlap with kebabs and other foods, esp spices, all the way from the Balkans to India. Silk Roads, islands in the Med with a lot of traffic, etc,

The Persians and Alexander, they got around!!

(Keema is a word for meat in Greece, too, etc)

2 Likes

Barca, some of the foods are somewhat similar, but those 3 countries escape the Slavic label because their languages are not Slavic.

We could do Central and Eastern European food, north of the Greek and Turkish border, east of Germany/Austria (maybe as a subtitle to Slavic), if people want to use geography rather than the majority language family as the label!

3 Likes

Very interesting …

We spent 6 weeks in Romania (predominately Bucharest and the Brasov - Transylvania regions, 176 km. north of Bucharest) … Amazingly awesome not only gastronomically - enologically but also their Castle Route and their landscapes.

1 Like

Grapes are normally produced for wine (beverages) verses for eating in the Old Wine Countries, Spain, Italy, France and Portugal though there are many other European countries that produce wines as well as North America and every other Continent.

So, this is a totally different subject for a cuisine of the quarter – it would be Wines of the Quarter or Beverages of the Quarter (better) as cherries, berries and other fruits are also used in their own type of wine and / or liquores … And in beers too (Belgian).

SLAVIC is our winner in a close race! Thanks for voting!

3 Likes