Everything on mooncakes (sweet/savoury), have you tasted them?

These are, I believe, mung bean. There’s another batch that is red bean.

1 Like

Strangely with snow skin, I’ve had fruit filling, green tea, vanilla etc. but never tried the more traditional filling.

By the way, is it possible to have the snow skin recipe?

It is, but I would have to ask my mom.

But I do know that it is made with glutinous rice flour. Not mochi dough.

1 Like

That will be of great help and thanks. Just checked pantry, I’ve got glutinous flour. If the procedure is not too complicated and long, will try to make a batch with the ingredients I have at home and in time for tomorrow night. Also need to locate the molds, bought them many years ago in Hong Kong, but haven’t used yet.

One more day to go before the Mid-Autumn aka Mooncake Festival which falls tomorrow, Tue Sep 14.
Afternoon tea today was more lotus paste mooncakes! :grin:

2 Likes

2 yolks?

No, single yolks - I prefer more lotus paste to yolk ratio.

My preference are 2. I never understood the 4 yolks! :laughing:

Although I agree to share a single yolk is easier when divided by 4.

Agreed! Four yolks would’ve excluded too much the lotus paste which should form the base for Cantonese mooncakes.

1 Like

These always look so cute, but I don’t like the taste of them (although this picture looks a bit like a caterpillar piggy). I too can’t eat a lot of mooncake, since they are so dense, but I will usually eat one over a few days or share in one when it’s that time of year. Of the traditional kinds, I really only like the lotus seed paste ones (and I prefer white lotus seed paste) and maybe 1-2 yolks. Most of the modern kinds (the lava custard, the mochi skin, etc.) I have not cared for. Usually insanely sweet. My mom likes the traditional mixed nuts mooncakse, and an ongoing joke with me and my sisters is that my mom asks us every single year (40+ years now) if we want one, and all of us are ‘YUCK’'.

Flash forward to yesterday when I get off another long call with mom. We go over the 20 things she always offers me (veggies from her garden, food she’s cooked, soup, etc.). I had bought a box of moon cakes early when I spotted a “low sugar” version from Kee Wah (a HK bakery well known for their mooncakes) and gave one to my mom a few weeks ago. My being proactive must have finally stopped her from offering me the mixed nuts mooncake I turn down every year. Or so I thought - as soon as we hung up the phone, she called right back and said she forgot to ask me if I wanted a mixed nuts mooncake. :worried: :weary:

3 Likes

My Dad loves that type, too!

That, and also another variant with chopped waxed meat/ham added to the mixed nuts/candied wintermelon filling called Ngoh Jin Guek Phneah in my local Penang-Hokkien/Fujianese parlance. In Mandarin, it’s Wu Ren Yue Bing (五仁月饼 )

I used to dread those when I was a kid, but has since developed a taste for them.

3 Likes

Made my first snow skin mango purée mooncakes. Don’t understand why, the first few made, the pattern was more defined and clear.

With the later ones, we don’t see the “pattern” anymore.

2 Likes

That’s the kind my mom gets, the kind with the ham and the wu yen variety. Haha, I should have her ship her extras we turn down every year to you.

2 Likes

I won’t say no to that. :joy: :joy: :joy:

Actually, I’m mistaken on a couple of mooncake terms all my life - until it was pointed out to me a couple of days ago by the folks at Tho Yuen restaurant/bakery, my fave spot in Penang to procure mooncakes this year.

The ones with mixed nuts but without ham is called: “ngoh jin guek phneah” in Hokkien, and wǔ rén yuèbǐng (五仁月饼 ) in Mandarin.

The ones with mixed nuts and ham is called: “kam tui guek phneah” in Hokkien, and jīn tuǐ yuèbǐng (金腿月饼) in Mandarin.

The gold box is gorgeous …

1 Like