Etiquestion

I am invited to a product-demo party (Thirty-One, which is tote bags, purses, etc.) at the home of a friend, who is hostessing for the salesperson, someone she knows. Am I supposed to bring a hostess gift, or ask my friend if she’d like me to make a dish for the party?

I would not think you need to bring a gift. Those parties are meant for those invited to buy something, and they are usually given a product from the line as a hostess gift. I might ask my friend if she wanted me to make something.

2 Likes

Think of the evening as a sales pitch masquerading as a social event.

As wcg points out, your friend is effectively being paid to host the party.

My partner used to go to these sort of evenings quite regularly, although the sex toy one was embarassing as it was mainly work colleagues there.

6 Likes

Rubbermaid?

1 Like

Just want to say that it’s nice to “see” you back, Harters.

5 Likes

It sure is good to see Harters back!

5 Likes

Thank y’all - and let’s get back to helping Erica with her issue.

4 Likes

Definitely no hostess gift.

I would say not even a dish, since this is essentially a sales pitch you are attending, not a real social function.

That said, I would temper that sentiment with how good of a friend this is. If it was a very good friend I might ask if I could bring something (but I would expect the answer to be no).

3 Likes

Nope. She is getting a kickback from the salesperson in exchange for hosting the party. It’s not like your friend invited you and some friends over for dinner and hanging out. She’s in this to get free stuff from the salesperson.

2 Likes

Definitely not. Your friend is hosting in the hopes that her guests will buy stuff - depending on the sales generated by the party, she will receive “hostess rewards,” generally in the form of merchandise or credit to purchase merchandise.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. I was inclined to think that way too, but wanted to be sure.

1 Like

And yeah, I too say no hostess gift. As others have said, this really isn’t an ordinary “social” event…

1 Like

Yes welcome back!! I know you missed me so I just wanted to personally acknowledge your return! Long Live Harters!!!

1 Like

No I would say absolutely not. You are being solicited for purchasing an item, if anything the friend who is selling the product should be offering gifts etc. to the hostess since they are the ones benefiting from this.

With that being said, if you are good friends with or just want to be a nice person you could certainly offer. However I do not believe there is ANY obligation for you to do so at all.

3 Likes

If it’s close friend and you want an excuse to make a new cookie recipe then sure but it is certainly not expected as already stated- i would be very surprised if any other guests bring something.

1 Like