' Encountered some extraordinary, seasonal, exotic and weird Japanese products at " Freshway Supermarket, Markham ".

• Super expensive ‘Miyazaki Kaniyuku Mangoes’…ONLY $88 each!😂

• Ultra-marbled Japanese A5 Wagyu…on sale for $100 per pound!

• Japanese cheese with weird ingredients…Avocado Wasabi?!

9 Likes

88$ a mango!? Wagyu I can understand but a mango? That’s for the billionaires I guess :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, I’m not going to lie that I would try the cheese :joy:

4 Likes

The mango reminds me of this video. Enjoyable channel overall too.https://youtu.be/upROpkKYzPE

2 Likes

$100 Canadian for a pound of A5! I would grab that in a heart beat.

3 Likes

Over a dozen on the shelf, ALL GONE in 3 days!!..guess there are lots of affluent people in town?! :laughing:
Next, wonder how quickly those Japanese Hokkaido ‘hundreds of dollars each’ Musk Melon fly off the shelf?!

1 Like

A fancy adjective always adds value I guess :sweat_smile:
Wonder how much their wasabi would be.

Reading the package on the right, it says “avocado & wasabi soy sauce” flavor.
Atop those words, from right to left, the white column on the blue background means “limited time,” “gensen” means “specially selected,” and “otsumami” is side dish, or a small nibble to have with alcohol (usually beer).

2 Likes

Those look like Miyazaki mangoes. They are super expensive! I once came across a Yubari melon - similar nose-bleed pricing. In both cases, grown with extraordinary care and protected by GI, just like Wagyu/Kobe beef.

2 Likes

I cannot imagine any fruit being that spectacularly good to justify those prices.

I’m thinking I have to taste a Miyazaki mango at some point so I can compare it to an Alphonso…

1 Like

I have read a few explanations why fruit is so astonishingly expensive in Japan, e.g. it can be a high status special-occasion gift, thus it has to be perfect, then the cost of labour and land, etc.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

@Saregama I’m told it’s about aroma and texture (no fibre). But I’m with @linguafood… like, how good can it be? Maybe we can split the price of one miyazaki and compare notes on how it stacks up against the King!

2 Likes

I live in Japan and I’ve tried many of such exorbitantly priced fruits and have never found one which justifies the price. That being said, I’ve never had a Miyazaki or Okinawa (another area where mangoes are grown) mango. They’re always too expensive and I’ve never been given one as a gift which is precisely how many of these fruits are eaten. I have had musk melons (rather uncommon in the US, but I would describe them as having the appearance of a cantaloupe on the outside with the flavor and texture of a honeydew melon on the inside) used to be THE de rigueur pricey fruit gift are not anywhere near the price they go for. Too sweet and too soft on the inside. Give me a good cantaloupe or “Yubari” melon (an orange-fleshed melon very similar to a cantaloupe) any day.

These days the de rigueur pricey fruit gift are “Shine Muscat” grapes. 2 years ago I bought 8 of them in a little clamshell package. They were sweet as can be, but had no grape flavor whatsoever! I much prefer Thompson seedless grapes from the US or Kyoho grapes which I would say taste like Concord grapes. Kyoho was at one time the de rigueur pricey fruit gift, but thanks to Shine Muscat becoming so popular, Kyoho have become much more reasonably priced. BTW, I think I paid about $3.00 for the 8 Shine Muscat grapes. I don’t regret trying them, though.

I’ve never had the famously expensive Japanese watermelons, either. As an American, watermelon is an “everyman’s fruit” and I won’t pay the price that fruit sellers want for those “special” ones. Regular watermelons are available in Japan and while more expensive than in the US are quite good and not too hard to find for a reasonable price.

3 Likes

Yeah I recall visiting Japan as a kid with the parents and coming from a fruit abundant country I offered some from the hotel gift basket to our guides provided by our hosts who were driving us around thinking it’s a normal gesture to be polite and their jaws dropping and thanking us profusely. My father explained afterwards how expensive the fruit was in Japan.

2 Likes

Ever try a Ruby Roman grape?

I know of them and have seen them in stores, but they’re too pricey for me to buy. If I find someplace where I can get some at a reasonable price, I’ll try to report back!

1 Like

I was in Kanazawa at the end of Ruby Roman season, and finally found one.

I was prepared to pay the 600 yen per grape, but the nice folks working at the till coincidentally mentioned that they had already closed up shop for the day.

It was juicy and plump alright, but I should have seen what it was like in juice form.

(for those unfamiliar with the Ruby Roman, it is only grown in Ishikawa prefecture, and only available from mid-August to early/mid-September)

1 Like

A slice is (or was twice when I was there) served as part of the Omakase menu at Yukashi Restaurant on Mount Pleasant Ave.

1 Like