Empty restaurants New Jersey

I called Frankie Fed’s for delivery about 6:30. They quoted 45 minutes and the food arrived at 7:12. We had sausage pizza and salad which was as good as always. Since they were coming anyway I had them bring a few frozen sausage pizzas to keep in the freezer in case they stop delivering.

2 Likes

I can attest. Was there last week when all hell broke loose and social media was harping on how supermarkets were out of stock. They were fully stocked.

1 Like

Our beloved weekly Chinese takeout spot is closing for at least three weeks. We called today to inquire and they told us that business was not great and a break would be better.

Very upset about this for multiple reasons, but mainly because they are very kind people and many times after a night of drinking we have called rather close to closing time and they have delivered our orders each time with a smile. Everyone there, drivers included, are good people.

Hell, one time I ordered and forgot something and they reminded me! Sometimes when the BF is at work and I’ll order just for me, she’ll say, “Aww only one tonight?”

I really didn’t think strictly takeout spots would be affected like this, but I was wrong.

5 Likes

Which was your favorite Chinese takeout, sadly I called Little Szechuan and they were closed. I then called Golden City - closed, Far East Taste - closed as well. I then abandoned the Chinese idea all together and got take out from The Pour House. I wonder once the pandemic is over how long the public’s “trust” of Chinese food/people will take.

2 Likes

I like both Eastern Empires: one in Oakhurst, the other in Lincroft. I haven’t checked whether they’re still open…Little Szechuan and Far East Taste also favorites. I’m kind of surprised about LS. They have such a loyal following…an amazing takeout business even without a pandemic.

New Happy Garden. It never fails.

Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro) was operating at least as of a week ago.

4 Likes

Eastern Empire (Lincroft) “use to be” on our list but it changed hands a few times and wasn’t consist ant so I got frustrated with it. I didn’t even try calling them yesterday.

@jsfein I was thinking about that but didn’t really want to drive that far. Thanks for the heads up though.

Totally agree about Eastern Empire (Lincroft) inconsistency. I’ve never had a bad (or greasy) eggroll from them though…

Oh also, for your Asian food urge, Pour House and Sitting Duck had dumplings that they brought in from NY. They may not have them now under the circumstances.

2 Likes

I haven’t had Chinese food (save for what I make myself at home) in about two weeks. I may have to make the hour round-trip for Sichuan Cottage takeout very soon.

1 Like

Went to Sichuan Cottage today. Got West Lake Beef Chowder, Three Pepper Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken, and Double Sauteed Pork (probably four meals for us). No one else was there, but the woman said they would be open next week, so everyone should take advantage and keep them going. Pay cash and tip generously.

(They were out of some things–we couldn’t get Short Ribs and Bitter Melon in Black Bean Sauce.)

The strip mall was taking advantage of the empty parking lot to patch all the holes, so some good will come out of this.

1 Like

Pete and Elda’s going strong. Long, long take out line.

3 Likes

I was just thinking about this. Been craving this. Glad to see both they hare doing well and people taking social distancing seriously.

1 Like

There’s something I just don’t understand. Vic’s is a far superior thin pie imo. (ducking)

All thin pies suck imo. (ducking)

2 Likes

Generally with you, @joonjoon !

ummm…booooo!!!

All the Chinese restaurants near me (Hunterdon County) have closed. :sob:

Dearest Heirloom Friends & Family,

After much deliberation, with the heaviest of hearts we’ve decided that the best thing we can do for our team and community is to close our doors completely and suspend all to-go dinners. We had hoped we could weather the storm, keep our team employed, and continue to serve our community by pivoting to a take-out model, but as this pandemic spreads and the numbers rise exponentially, we can no longer in good conscience continue to keep our doors open. It’s become clear to us that to truly get a handle on this crisis—for the sake of our health care workers, the sake of our grocers, the sake of our pharmacist, our parents, our grandparents, for all of us, we have to shut it down.

Thank you to everyone who has ordered food, shared advice, donated, and lended a hand. We hope to welcome you back on the other side of this.

Warmest Regards,
Team Heirloom

Special Occasions:
If interested in To-Go or Drop Off Catering at your front door by Chef David Viana for a special occasion, please contact us at info@heirloomkitchen.com

5 Likes

Finally found an open Chinese place in Middletown. Tai Hing… Good reviews and ordered a ton just from withdrawal… Review to follow when we get home… So very sad as I’ve talked to so many friends in the food service business and it is just terrible out there… But I am always still amazed at how many are jumping in and helping those of us out there working in the whole health care chain. Stopping by, feeding us, donating PPE and bleach and so on… Amazing… I keep a list of places that i will repay the favor… Amd I make sure to frequent all the places that are still fighting the good fight with takeout service…

7 Likes