Eli's Bagels Has Closed--What Are the Alternatives? [Aberdeen]

Try the tshirt. Some people respond to dueling bs.

4 Likes

If you’re already getting no service match them with NO shirt

2 Likes

Touche!

1 Like

I’ll get you a bagel next time. Just throw up the bat signal!

1 Like

I use to go to Bagel Talk about 10 years ago when my office was in that area, they were good. Good deli and good bagels as well.

1 Like

I don’t know how I missed this part of this thread, as Bagel Talk on Rt 79 is my go to joint.

Still good deli and good bagels and good bagel sandwiches.

1 Like

Well there ya’ go it’s settled now! The Pope of Freehold has declared it so!!!

2 Likes

I’d just like to thank everyone who voted for me! And all the little people who made it possible for this Jewish kid from Brooklyn to finally become Pope

9 Likes

Now that my cred has gone up a notch due to Seal liking my pizza recommendation, allow me to announce the best bagel in Monmouth County.
A little bagel resume first.
I worked in NYC fashion business for over 40 years & a bagel & iced coffee was a daily religious ritual.
Bagels from all over the 4 boroughs ( Staten Island is a wasteland) were available always.
We were bagel snobs & Ess a Bagel & H&H were the gold standard. Ok?
So 35 years ago I move to Marlboro and the only decent bagel was Bagel World on route 9 Eli’s in Pond Rd shopping Center.
Others have come & gone, but today after seeing Grandpa’s Bagels on route 79 in same strip as Cuzins on Instagram I had to stop in.
So it’s a good looking place & the bagels looked great but the proof was in the taste.
Man it was Bagel nirvana, tried the sesame with a maple pecan cream cheese spread & it’s just perfect.
Bought some everything bagels & of course sesame & some of the spread.
They have a process I am not familiar with called Bromate it’s to make it a more digestible bagel, whatever it is it’s a damn good bagel, as good as it gets.
BTW the Grandfather is on premise & was very engaging.
Definitely has replaced Bagel World & Eli’s in my rotation.

8 Likes

Will have to try this place. I usually go to Bagel Oven in RB.

2 Likes

We had liked Bagel World in Bear Brook plaza, but our experience last Monday has soured me on it. On Mondays, they offer a baker’s dozen for $9.97. I asked for four Black Russian bagels; he had only one. He suggested Pumpernickel Rye, I said okay, and then he had only one of those. By the time I figured out what they did have, we had lost count and I ended up with only twelve. And the Black Russian was small, and stale.

All in all, the bagels were okay, but nothing special. I think I will try Bagel Time, which us only about a mile away from me, and then work my way out if necessary.

Try Grandpa’s it’s just a bit further down 79 towards Freehold & I believe it’s a better bagel.

1 Like

The Black Russian at wegman used to be good. But they haven’t been making them for the past two years. Only pumpernickel which is not even close. I’ve just started making my own instead (traditional sesame or poppy )

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking a somewhat silly question; If Bagel Time is only a mile from your home, how haven’t you tried them by now? They have been there 10+ years!! (did the Stewarts next to them open this past year?)

1 Like

Because by the time Bagel Time opened we were hooked on Eli’s, which was only a mile and a half away, and on the way to/from the supermarket, and next to the movie theater, so we passed that way a lot. Plus Eli’s usually had a coupon for a free pound of homemade cream cheese if you bought a dozen bagels.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” But now that our bagel source is broke (gone), we need to fix it.

2 Likes

So NJ.com published a list of the best bagels in NJ
I am not & for my own reason won’t subscribe to it.
Curious though has any place discussed here made the list.? I am dubious of most of their work so it’s merely my curiosity not my gastronomy.

Was wondering same thing, lol. Further south we usually discuss bagel masters, bagel oven, and hot bagel bakery as well

1 Like

The local ones were:

Sheepshead Baygels (Holmdel)
Bagel Boy (Old Bridge)
Bagel Boyz (Hazlet)
Gems Bagels (Port Monmouth)
Bagel Nook (Holmdel)

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Check this out. Thinking it’s a low-key announcement of the location of the new place of the heirloom kitchen team. Portuguese food!

2 Likes