Eggplant Invotini

I’ve made this recipe before, love eggplant … this time I went all out and made sauce with canned San Marzano tomatoes and homemade ricotta. At least I did those two the day before … Whew!

I doubled the recipe, love baking the slices in the oven. First, I sprayed parchment paper with TJ olive oil spray so I would use too much olive oil on eggplant.

I had some freshly cooked spinach (can’t stand frozen) that I mixed into filling. Put a little sauce on top as well as the bottom and used fresh whole milk mozzarella slices on top. Final outcome, needs a little salt but I’m very afraid of oversalting. Some comments said to salt and rinse slices of eggplant first so I did this and was afraid of adding more. Oh well … you can add some at the table.

This is good to make ahead and then heat up before serving.

7 Likes

11 Likes

I’ve “grilled” slices of eggplant on my “George Foreman” grill (first) then used them in egg plant parmigiana.

3 Likes

Someone on this board once recommended baking eggplant instead of frying Dip in egg, bread crumbs. A little olive oil on pan and drizzle with more. Sadly, I can’t remember your name, but I silently thank you every time I make it.

3 Likes

I also love grilling sliced and salted eggplant brushed heavily with olive oil. You can get the eggplant well marked and then put it in the oven on a baking sheet until soft.

3 Likes

I made this with canned tomatoes, but fresh or diced tomatoes are more good. I used ricotta cheese and it was a little too rich for my taste so next time I’ll just add some more sauce.

The recipe didn’t call for mozzarella on top but I splurged at WF and sliced a log of expensive Fior di latte. Next time I would omit (only put shredded mozzarella in filling) because it just got hard, rubbery. I did put a little sauce on top too, that I’d do again.

Name checks out!

I made this this week as well and followed the recipe pretty closely. SK notes that you can use jarred sauce and I had an open jar of Rao’s that needed to be used, so mixed that with about 3/4 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes. I liked the combo of chunky + smooth in the sauce, but the peanut gallery gave the “blobs” a thumbs down.

I also “grilled” the eggplant on a stove top grill pan, putting the finished slices in a dutch oven as I grilled the next batch. I think the dutch oven ended up steaming the eggplant a bit and it worked out to be a really nice texture. Will have to remember for next time!

Overall, a delicious recipe that is loads easier than frying.

2 Likes

I like Rao’s too.

Re: “blobs” … I’ve learned that you can’t “please all of the people, all of the time.” Whew … must be so difficult to please a big family!

2 Likes