Egg price gouging

Ditto here for large this week - $3.34/dz - $4.93 L/18

I used to buy XL, there was a time, I guess during the pandemic, they were often not available so I’ve been buying L.

Also, recently, brown eggs have been cheaper than white, so I have been buying those. Not so this week, though.

1 Like

Per an acquaintance (not a close friend, but I regard him as truthful). He worked as a teen in a supermarket. I remember it was a chain but not which one. Lowest person on the staff, i.e., the latest hiree, was responsible for keeping full cartons in the coolers for sale. Every staff member was supposed to note cartons left out of place because of broken or cracked or stuck eggs and return to the stock room. The assigned person’s job was to get as many full cartons in the display coolers as possible. The only no-no was to not put any white shelled eggs in a carton labeled brown eggs. Otherwise, brand, size, expiration date did not matter - just get as many full cartons in the display cases as possible. This was done usually once a day.

The story is dated, perhaps by a couple of decades (he’s a married adult now probably in his 40s).

Just passing it along.

2 Likes

Two dozen local eggs for $6. I can’t complain, TBH.

7 Likes

No, no you cannot. I like the variety!

Those are beautiful. Do you return the cartons? There is a woman in our small town who posts on FB asking for egg cartons for her eggs. I have not found her little stand yet, but hope to do so this spring.

I can get eggs like that locally. I like the blue ones …:grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, I return them - otherwise they’d be $3.50 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

that’s pre-pandemic pricing

One of very few advantages of living in the boonies.

Lots of advantages to living in the boonies!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m more of a city person myself, but I could go super-rural, too. Just not this exurban BS.

1 Like

When eggs are $0.23 (which would never happen in Canada), I figure they’re a loss leader to get people in the door.

1 Like

Bought eggs at Costco yesterday. 3 X 30 trays (90 large eggs) for $22.00, so $2.93 dozen. Limit 2 per customer

1 Like

A dozen Land o Lakes cage free large eggs $4.99 at Shoprite (Westchester Cty NY) this morning.
Eggland and store brand large were also $4.99/dozen.

Land o Lakes XLs were $5.29 about 10 minutes ago at Foodtown in Hastings. Store brand were $4.99 but I decided to spend the extra $.30 on cage free. I didn’t look at Egglands pricing because their eggs have a strange flavor IMO - I only buy them when there are no other options.

1 Like

From my latest collection, I can brag that I know the layers and collector personally.
These eggs range in weight from the smallest at 46grams, medium 63 grams and the largest weigh in at 73 grams. These weights are close to the USDA guidelines.
Three dozen comes in at $15 in a mixture of sizes, Grocery store large whites were $4.99 for an eighteen pack ($3.32/ doz.). There were no dozen packages on the shelf, only multi packs of 18 and up. Limit two per purchase.

5 Likes
1 Like

I had to go to Walmart for a few things. While there, I grabbed a dozen large eggs for $2.76.

1 Like

This is a case where we need something more than the fork/knife. A “sad face” response would be useful.

:cry:

3 Likes