Efficiency tips in kitchen

I think elaborate meals mean less time to sit down to enjoy, more time in kitchen. I make more sophisticated dishes most of the time when it’s only eating with H, maybe 1 or 2 courses. Food also tastes differently when one is concentrated with the conversation than the food.

1 Like

Ease of meal preparation depends on familiarity with preparing what you plan to serve. A friend jokes that what I call “simple” often does not appear so to her. “Simple” to me is when I can wing a dish and not have to constantly consult a recipe. Moving repeatedly from script to prep table or stove is maddening to me. I only cook for big family or dinner party what I can conceive and create from rote.

4 Likes

Exactly, also translated as “less stress”. Usually an unfamiliar first-time recipe looks more complicated than it is. A recipe with difficult to find ingredients can also add stress. But once you gather all the ingredients, the cooking can be straight forward, this applies especially to Asian cooking.

1 Like

On the other hand, guests should feel it when they are not wanted in the kitchen. With us that’s no problem, because our kitchen is so ridiculously small.

1 Like

Open kitchens are great for casual and convivial entertaining but give me my kitchen door!

1 Like

But when I was growing up, it was Mom who acted like that. Can’t not accept an invitation from Mom!

2 Likes

Friends have commented about how relaxed I seem when we are preparing a meal in our open kitchen at home. There is a lot to be said about having prep done ahead of time. I use mason jars (double as measuring vessels) as prep “bowls”. And rarely need to consult a recipe in order to finish the cooking. So, I suppose I look very laisse faire. The reality is, I am like a duck; smooth and unruffled on the surface, paddling like $h!T below. :sweat_smile: :rofl:

12 Likes

When cooking for clients, I will do a site visit before even establishing a menu. I really do want to know what sorts of oven, cooktop, refrigerator is available, as well as cookware; and also number of stairs from street to kitchen, where I can stash my tote boxes, used linen, etc. If it’s useful, I also take photos of the insides of cupboards and drawers.
I have a kit box, with critical tools, such as silicone spatula, tongs, paring knives, peelers, lifter, lighter, matches, pen, tape, scissors. For a complex menu, I might go to the client’s home the day before to prep.
When it comes to a friend’s or family’s kitchen, I am rarely preparing the entire meal. I do plan to pack along any critical elements, whether that be a sheet pan, or parchment, a large cutting board, or a particular ingredient.

8 Likes

Same (though I am far from being a professional cook). I have learned that it’s less stressful for everyone when I pack the critical elements or tools that I need to assemble or prep my assigned dish(es) when I’m a guest in someone’s kitchen.

Also I try to organize everything in a cooler or tote so that I can carry in/carry out stuff quickly. Some hosts tend to get tense about items brought into their home—understandable when space is limited—but then everyone’s happy when food shows up on the table practically free of on-site effort or cleanup. So I plan to be able to get any additional prep items in and out of the house fast, without any fuss.

4 Likes

Fascinating contributions and insights from a professional. Thank you!

2 Likes

The four-legged guests/personal assistants never pick up on social clues (such as being in the way or personal space). They strategically lie on the cool kitchen tile between the sinks and stove poised to clean up any mess that falls their way.

8 Likes

Can apply to any foreign ingredients that are not native to the city and / or region of where you live.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I learned this the hard way last time I cooked at someone’s place. Didn’t check the equipment carefully before the menu planning. The fridge was shitty, either not cold enough with a lot of food or the food at the back got frozen, leafy vegetables and herbs were trashed. Another trip to the market was necessary. The stove didn’t work properly either. Not surprisingly the meal was delivered late. Luckily people was happy with the food. :rofl:

3 Likes

For me, that includes taking home my used dishes & etc., so as to not contribute to kitchen sink clutter.

3 Likes

how frustrating!

2 Likes

Ugh, that is no fun. I sympathize!

Some years ago, we were gathered for a holiday meal with extended family at a rental cabin. My husband and I guessed that the kitchen would be insufficient to make a decent dinner for the number of people there, so we offered to buy and pick up a catered meal as a kind of gift to the others.

We went to pick up the meal at the appointed time and asked the others to make sure that plates, utensils, and flatware would be all set when we returned with the ready-to-eat dinner. They didn’t do anything but drink! My husband and I had to hurriedly wash up the dishes when we returned, because previous guests left the dishware in various states of uncleanliness.

Lesson learned: From then on, with our own eyes—ahead of time—we always check the food and everything needed to serve. Better than a dramatic surprise at the last minute.

6 Likes

Homemade raviolis to serve a big crowd. Thinking of doing that, but with people arriving at different times, a span of 2 hours, this can be challenging.

1 Like

If you’re ok with having the oven on the whole time, Use smaller pans, and set out every 30 min or so. Keep the filled pans in the fridge, and each time you set one out for service, pop the next tray into the oven.

1 Like

Do you suggest precook for every 30 minutes?

Fresh home made Ravioli (that is frozen or not) or stuffed pasta in general is simmered on high in boiling salted water for 4 to 7 minutes with a drizzle of Italian Evoo, and depending on the size of the morsels. Strained and put on a plate and redrizzled with sauce.

Why would you bake them ?

Lasagne or manicotti, one can bake in oven. If fresh, one needs to watch as they can easily be overdone and not very wise.

You can serve with a variety of sauces: Tomato, Ligurian Pesto etcetra.

If you want to make a lasagne, dry pasta is much more suited to baking than fresh pasta.

Good luck with your pasta.

1 Like