Eating ethically while travelling

I read this as “a girl that was at least 9” and thought, what the hell is wrong with you?

Carry on!

5 Likes

The only fish I associate with Minnesota is … lutefisk.

Lutefisk? :man_facepalming:t3::man_shrugging:t3:

You haven’t lived until you’ve had lutefisk smothered in natto. :yum:

2 Likes

Perhaps so but who catches it in Minnesota?

Mon ami, I have no idea.

I just know those folks up there eat it.

Largest per capita consumption of lutefisk in the world apparently.

Uffdah! You betcha I going to tha store to buy me some. Hope it aint spendy. Skol!

1 Like

Now we just need someone to chime in as to why eating lutefisk is not ethical … especially as a visitor to the state of 10,000 lakes (or if you want to be pedantic about it, 11,842 lakes)

3 Likes

Make a Lutefisk Melt with some Gtetost.

2 Likes

Yeah, goggling at minors (“girls”) is generally not a good idea.

In my mild defense, these girls were members of a sorority at University of Georgia so they were not minors. And I was a youngster at the time, too, at UMD.
So I think goggling was not only a good idea, it was nearly mandatory.
LOL!
Sorry for the threadjack, but it was a Waffle House experience!

2 Likes

I don’t care if the local cares as much as I do about the chow. That’s why I like the input of a bartender and two patrons. I’m not kiddin’ about the pisssin’ match thing. Soon as I ask where the best empanadas are, I’ll get three different answers, and the war is on. If two agree on one place, that’s my first spot.

I’m glad that method has generally led you to good experiences. I also know any number of bartenders with terrible taste in food. Looks like you’ve been one lucky camper so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

When we went to Japan in the 1990s, people always asked, “Wasn’t it expensive?” They based this idea almost entirely on stories about the cost of steaks, gift melons, Western-style hotels, and coffee in coffehouses. Japanese food, ordinary fruit, Japanese-style hotels, and coffee in cans from a vending machine nade an enormous difference.

1 Like

I think people who don’t often travel do often set up those barriers in their minds, never thinking about what other options are out there. I have never gone anywhere where I couldn’t feed myself for relatively cheap, lodging for reasonable money. You were flexible and learned, just like our Japanese FE student this year learned how to live here and not go broke. If a 16 year old Japanese girl can figure out Hooterville, USA, then I’m not scared to go see her in Chiba.

I think you hit it on the nail. They are talking about high end/tourist foods. Most Japanese people do not eat like on a regular basis.

FWIW, i always establish our lodging parameters before we go Lodging is a sunk and stable cost whereas food options vary by day and hour. We choose lodging for its location rather than number of stars or amenities.

3 Likes

+1. I need a bed and bathroom. location, location, location.

2 Likes

Waffle House (plain) hash browns are no better or worse than say, Denny’s or IHOP imo. I tried several times over the years to order Bert’s Famous Chili + cheese as a topper because I thought it sounded good. But it was never available for some strange reason so I gave up. Don’t get me wrong. WH is good (although nothing spectacular) but it’s Never my first choice for breakfast. My husband otoh loves the place.

1 Like