Eater: Whole Foods' Relationship with Small Purveyors is Not Going Well

https://www.eater.com/2018/3/23/17156250/whole-foods-amazon-small-food-producers

Hoo-boy. Also I don’t quite understand how Whole Foods could get away with breaking a seven year contract with AtlantaFresh - how is this legally possible?

1 Like

I feel like I’m just watching a car crash in slow motion…
amazon’s legal team must have found a loophole in the contract or paid a penalty of some sort, but what a truly horrible and crummy way to treat a purveyor- regardless of musical management at WF. And wtf? Isn’t whole foods where people shop to buy local grass fed dairy??

4 Likes

This is increasingly dismaying.

2 Likes

Buy from local independent grocery where practical. Where purchase power is concentrated in a few large grocery chains, it decreases leverage for the small purveyors.

If WF is centralizing its purchasing, then I guess it’ll have fewer of those products made by local small producers. Then its going to increasingly look like the organic selection of places like Safeway- generic ‘organic’ items that are expensive and not substantially different from cheaper non-organic versions.

4 Likes

Except the irony is that whole foods actually killed a lot of those small independent groceries when moving into the neighborhood…

6 Likes

Not too surprising, sadly. I have noticed so many things at WF that I really dislike now. They run out of products and do not re-stock. The coffee beans, which used to be roasted in store, used to have “roast date” written on bin; now, no more in-house roasting and bins give “fill date”. Less bakery items from WFs local bake house, more pre-packaged stuff. Many grocery items no longer carried. Also, employees seem much less happy there. It is turning into an Amazon warehouse. No thanks.

1 Like