EATER reports on the most current Fight for $15 dust up...

"Workers at a McDonald’s on Chicago’s South Side filed a complaint with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration on Monday, alleging that McDonald’s has done nothing to implement safety measures to protect employees from frequent occurrences of workplace violence, ranging from customers throwing objects to threatening staff and other diners with firearms.

The complaint coincides with the release of a new report on Wednesday by the National Employment Law Project that details McDonald’s failure to keep its restaurant employees safe from workplace violence."

This is such a complex issue. Personally, I do not think that the “fast food industry” was ever meant to provide a living wage to an individual or a Head Of Household. In the halcyon days of the 1960s and 1970s, fast food was a niche market attracting cool kids in cars to a gathering place. Sixteen year olds were recruited to work at McDonald’s, Red Barn, and a host of other burger and a shake joints as their first jobs. Cpnstant hiring of new employees was built into the business model because huge employee turnover was expected.

I cannot fathom how the fast food industry is expected to replace already lost trade union work and wages anywhere in the world.

1 Like

We were curious and learned:

“Many employees climb the corporate ladder from crew member to management, and according to a 2012 McDonald’s survey, almost 50% of McDonald’s corporate restaurant managers started out as crew members, as did more than 60% of the company’s owner operators.”

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s incredible to me that the public seems unaware of the management and franchise opps avail to crew who want to advance.

1 Like

That’s right – you’ve got to start somewhere, whether mailroom or grill or whatever is the entry level:

2 Likes

I like how one of the pictures is of a knockoff called “Mash Donald’s”

3 Likes