Eater.com: "Dear White Chefs: Stop Talking, Start Listening"

Ms. Mistry engages in the sort of racist claptrap that implies that ONLY minority voices matter and that civil discourse is “silencing.” Bollocks.

2 Likes

I’ve had my say on this subject but couldn’t let this pass.

From AllRecipes.com:

1 3/4 cups masa harina
1 1/8 cups water

1. In a medium bowl, mix together masa harina and hot water until thoroughly combined. …
  2. Preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium-high.
  3. Divide dough into 15 equal-size balls. …
  4. Immediately place tortilla in preheated pan and allow to cook for approximately 30 seconds, or until browned and slightly puffy.

That’s it. What exactly do you think they stole peaking through a window, if indeed that even really happened, that disqualifies these entrepreneurial women from bringing the product to Portland?

And consider that they couldn’t really exactly duplicate it even if they wanted to. Their ground corn will be different. Their water will be different. Their stove will be different. Their comal will be different.

What did these women do that they should have been driven out of business?

Not a freakin’ thing. And by all accounts, Portland loved them until they admitted they got the idea while on vacation, whereupon some misguided or sociopathic SJW took it upon them self to destroy their lives.

As I said above, “C’mon down to Houston, ladies.”

4 Likes

LOL. There used to be a TV show called Dr. Fad, in which kids showed showed off inventions. One I can’t help but remember is a girl who was troubled by getting her hair wet in the shower. Her invention involved putting an elastic band around a trash bag. Apparently no one told her there was such a thing as a shower cap.

That girl gets a free pass because she was seven years old, but its shakier ground when two adults start Columbusing —despite their romantic origin story of traveling to a foreign land and filling in a secret recipe through their own ingenuity and hard work, I wonder if they could’ve made a similar product by watching YouTube videos or reading an English language cookbook (people who’ve tasted the Kook’s and the origin tortillas and find them of equal skill, please prove me wrong)

The entire article is basically your above comment.

1 Like

As seen countless times on TV: [To the food show host] “If I told you the secret, I’d have to kill you.”

Trade secrets are such as long as the keeper protects the secret; it’s not up to the audience (intended or not) to dispense “justice”.

1 Like

Good for Rick Bayless!

2 Likes

No, it’s not, actually. But I can see how people can be confused.

I’d put it this way. If they give up so easily after just one week, cultural appropriation or not, it is not their biggest problem.

Again, it’s not that they used these recipes. It’s that they openly bragged that the women in the village wouldn’t share their trade secrets, so to speak, so they strong armed them into telling their methods and spied on them through windows when they wouldn’t share.

From their interview: “They wouldn’t tell us too much about technique, but we were peeking into the windows of every kitchen, totally fascinated by how easy they made it look. We learned quickly it isn’t quite that easy.”

That’s not the way you should go about gathering information, not to mention you don’t brag about doing it afterwards too.

I don’t understand why they just upped and closed their business and removed all their social media though. They should have at least attempted to explain themselves and try to smooth things over.

I don’t know that peeking in kitchen windows is exactly “strong-arming”.

1 Like

They were a pop up using someone else’s Truck.

This is the truck they were using.

http://www.tighttacos.com/index.html

If they start selling Kooks-replica breakfast burritos and send their kids to college with the $$$, will the balance have been restored?

1 Like

No confusion here.

Disagreement with an assertion simply means a person may not agree with your conclusion. or are not convinced by the logic with which you reached that conclusion.

1 Like

In another part of the interview, they said they repeatedly tried to get the village women to share their secrets, even if they didn’t want to.