Eater.com: "Dear White Chefs: Stop Talking, Start Listening"

Sounds like the restaurant scene needs some social justice - we can’t have people pick restaurants to eat at because it creates an inherently unfair system for the white patriarchy. Once every three meals all diners should be required to eat at a minority owned and operated eatery that only employees people who are of the same nationality as the food being served.

4 Likes

The weirdest thing about this article to me is that fine dining restaurants by definition are only patronized by well-off people - not the 1% only, by any means, but most certainly the top 15%. Many of whom at this point are not white and live in places like China and Singapore and Saudi Arabia. I would like for everyone from every background to have to opportunity to sell high-priced “food experiences” to rich people - why indeed should white guys have all the fun - and the cash? But none of this can ever lead to any kind of change in the massive gap between the rich and everybody else - not just in this country but globally.

2 Likes

Food for thought. Cultural appropriation or not? Maybe Kim Severson can explain it to us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/29/the-fascinating-story-behind-who-opens-sushi-restaurants-and-why/?utm_term=.b41c4d646505

While an interesting article, it really has nothing to do with the cultural appropriation we are talking about.

1 Like

There is a reason that orchestra auditions are blind. Only the sound from behind the curtain matters–not the performer’s identity. That said, having eaten at two Bayless restaurants, we’d return for what’s on the plate although we know who’s responsible for the menu.

How so? Sounds on-topic to me.

1 Like

It doesn’t fit the definition of cultural appropriation. The Chinese never colonized Japan. It was the other way 'round.

This is a response to the Kooks Burritos kerfuffle in Portland, but stands alone with a thoughtful claim (or will, at least appeal to some of us on this thread):

4 Likes

Okay, I guess we can debate the extent of Japanese colonization of China (which was limited), and Japanese occupation during WWII, but I don’t think China considers Japan as “colonial masters” that affected the culture, politics, and social structure in any meaningful way.

1 Like

Let’s not.

1 Like

Okay! :slight_smile:

I live in Texas.

We have a lovely dish here called Chicken Fried Steak.

It’s a Texas adaptation of weinerschnitzel brought by our early German immigrants.

Serious question: Does any restaurant serving CFS have to have a German cook on staff?

And don’t even get me started on Tex-Mex. I’ve spent the last fifty years hearing people tell me there’s no such thing as nachos in Mexico. (Well there is NOW, but THEY appropriated that!)

I’m sorry folks but this is a food forum, and I feel I’m on comfortable ground asserting that at least “here” we should be able to agree that the devil himself could be doing the cooking, but if it’s “GOOD” then bring me a menu!

Seriously, there is no where and no time in the history of mankind that we haven’t borrowed what worked from our neighbors - culturally, technologically, and absolutely culinarily. Adapted to local tastes, techniques and locally available ingredients.

Since the beginning of time.

Best learn to deal with it.

Edited to add:

Dear Kali and LC,

Come on down to Houston. As far as I know, we don’t have a Portland Burrito place. I would love to try those tortillas. And you would more welcome than you can imagine. Let Portland’s loss be Houston’s gain.

Thanks.

DW

4 Likes

I don’t think there is any evidence that that is true on HO (regardless of this post) …

Sad but true I suppose.

From now on only Native Americans are allowed to enjoy popcorn and Italians have to give up pasta.

Work for you?

Wow - you really showed that strawman you’re arguing against!

2 Likes

Thanks for the Willamette Week link. I hadn’t heard about the Kooks Burritos debacle. It does seem silly that flour and water flatbread can be so controversial. But a recipe isn’t really the issue, it’s the decades, centuries even of casually discounting and underestimating groups, and people are fed up. Food is just the last straw, I can understand that better.

I doubt lashing out at chefs who borrow ingredients or techniques in sincere appreciation of a cuisine or culture is going to solve much, but it’s good to make people consider why they might want to try the dish with rice porridge at the gastropub but not the steamy little congee house in the International District. It might be nice to have that gateway if it means some people will then seek out the real thing, but better if it wasn’t needed.

2 Likes

The comments section is a mess.

1 Like

From Brad Paisley’s hit “American Saturday Night”:

“You know everywhere there’s something they’re known for
Although usually it washes up on our shores
My great great great granddaddy stepped off of that ship
I bet he never ever dreamed we’d have all this”

1 Like

Here is a link to Rick Bayless responding to the idea that he shouldn’t be cooking Mexican food:

4 Likes

I think with Kook, it was also that they basically said that they strong-armed some of these women into sharing their secrets, and copied recipes by watching the women through their windows. I don’t care what culture you’re from, that’s not the way you go about it.