Easy, Freezable Dishes for an Elderly Friend

Heck, that’s something I try to do for myself. Otherwise I can’t find things. I live with my son due to disabilities (mine, not his) and he absolutely does not support me in this. I need a list that is kept UPDATED on the fridge, freezer, and the spice cabinet. He won’t fall in line, so attempts to do it on my own always ultimately fail as he removes and uses things and doesn’t update the list - or buys things and doesn’t update the list.

Then he wonders why things end up getting thrown out before I use them. Because - I forgot they were in there!

1 Like

Is this the recipe?

Oh geeez. Sorry i forgot a link!
http://ohsheglows.com/2013/11/13/lentil-mushroom-walnut-balls-with-cranberry-pear-sauce/
This is the recipe i was talking about in my previous comment.
But! The one you linked to from NY times is similar-i haven’t made that one but i have eaten those at the Meatball shop here and they’re really good!

2 Likes

Thanks! I love lentils and have a bit of walnuts left after making Georgian eggplant rolls with walnut-garlic filling recently.

2 Likes

Beef stew
Pork stew
Meat sauce for spaghetti
Mac & cheese
Beef barley vegetable soup
Sausage & Kale soup
Chicken Corn Chowder

Those are the first couple off the top of my head, although I know the Mac & cheese is probably a bit too carby.

The best individual serving containers I’ve found are Rubbermaid Easy-Find Lid Storage containers, like these…they usually come in multi-packages, as shown, but the small squares in the back are good for an individual portion of stew.

2 Likes

Hi, ED: “…more, more regularly.”

There’s a whole bundle of issues at work here, based on my experience with both my parents and the residents at the nursing home my wife managed. I suggest as a first step, your friend try to determine a volume of portion size that doesn’t look like “too much”. If it’s over the threshold, all bets are off REGARDLESS of what you put on the plate.

Next, within that volume threshold, you need to pack in the necessary calories to meet your goal(s). These are not necessarily the aged person’s goals.

Third, I recommend that varied textures and mouthfeel are important. Unless chewing or swallowing issues exist, mixing up textures is always better than indistinct pablum. Ensure may be complete nutrition, but no one wants to drink that shit.

Fourth, recognize that, as people age, so do their taste abilities and perceptions. All of them fade, but the taste sense that stays with us the longest is Sweet, so capitalizing on that (within reason) is really wise.

Fifth, as we age, we seem not to need as much variety; younger caretakers tend to impose their own expectations on the elderly. For example, my mom loved plain cereal and milk into advanced old age, and was actually happiest with it unless something particular tickled her fancy (a very iffy idea). It’s OK to be OK with some monotony in this regard.

Given your criteria (except one that is easily fixed), let me give you one prep as an example of something which might please, be hypercaloric, stimulate appetite, be portionable, reheatable, preservable, contain both sweet and texture variation, and is easy to prepare: Paul Prudhomme’s classic chicken curry. https://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&cat=15&view=381 If no spice is permissible, simply omit the jalapenos. If the mix itself is perceived to be too rich, add in/serve over enough rice to meet the potion threshold.

Chef Paul (RIP) gained hundreds of pounds and was VERY happy eating preps like this!

Aloha,
Kaleo

5 Likes

Thanks for mentioning these, Linda ! I just ordered the new version of them. We have an accumulated ton of mismatched take-away containers that G saves instead of recycling. Now he’ll have no choice. LOL

2 Likes

Kaleo, what a thoughtful post and one which echoes many of the thoughts I had, having cooked/cared for my parents and a family friend over the past several years. One other thought: perhaps best not to make a huge number of portions of any one thing and see what “mom” seems to enjoy. And be ready for the fact that any given food item may be enthusiastically received at one point and rejected a few months later.

6 Likes

@kaleokahu - thank you for such a thoughtful response. This is the information I need (never been in this position before) - hadn’t thought about portion size or texture / mouthfeel, much less perception of taste.

@GretchenS, great point about the amount of food we’ll be making. I’m planning on splitting things out, as most of what I think we’ll be cooking will work well here (except for the dishes with meat). Better to figure out what’s appealing, first, before stocking up.

@LindaWhit, I love the food ideas and thank you so very much for the storage container recommendation. I wasn’t sure what to look for and these seem perfect.

An odd question (maybe I should put this into the Cookware category?) but how to handle dishes with a tomato sauce? Do they stain containers / does the scent permeate the plastic?

@Ttrockwood, I love the recipe for the lentil, mushroom, and walnut balls! Those are now on the list.

@Robin, I’d been trying to figure out if a rice casserole would freeze and reheat well. I seem to recall making one that involved rice, steamed / poached and then shredded chicken, broccoli, and cream of mushroom soup - and maybe some curry powder? But I’m thinking that cheese sounds better :smile:

@AudreyFromNE, I’m not really experienced with soup-making; are there any recipes you’d feel comfortable pointing me toward and I can riff off those? (I tend to end-up with watery broths.)

@meatn3, I’m really liking the idea of polenta (it would tie in well with the mother’s Mexican heritage, I think); maybe some sort of black beans and a mild chorizo, plus cheese, over polenta rounds?

@Justlauralibrarian (hi from another Laura - oddly enough, the friend I’m undertaking this project with is also a Laura!), the tortilla soup recipe is perfect, and I think enchiladas are going to be on the first round of cooking list. Thank you!

@Gourmanda - that’s a perfect link and I think we’re going to be using a couple of the ideas. We’ll bake before freezing, I think, so they can be pulled out and reheated.

1 Like

It’s been awhile since I’ve done anything with puff pastry but I think you will get a tastier, crispier result if you make something and freeze with the pastry unbaked. Then, when ready, bake from frozen. See this link for freezing pot pies http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-and-freeze-individ-140279 In any event, a very nice thing for your to do with your friend :+1:

1 Like

Not an odd question. I’ve found that yes, sometimes the containers DO get lightly stained with tomato/meat sauce, but it’s more when I reheat something in the microwave that has a red sauce. If it’s just storage in the freezer, and then the sauce is popped out and reheated slowly in a pot? Nope, I’ve got no stains.

Ah, I’d not thought of that. (I’m not a pastry-cooking-person, so this is all fairly uncharted country for me.) Just pop in the oven and bake? That seems doable. Thank you.

That makes a lot of sense - I’d taken to freezing red sauce in ziplocks, because I tired of having to buy and toss the plastic storage tubs, but haven’t frozen anything along the lines of lasagna.

I want to thank everyone for this thread. Very timely for me and my 88 year old well beloved mom.

4 Likes

lots of good ideas in here, but i will offer a caveat: be wary of “hearty” bean dishes. unless somebody is used to eating beans they can cause a LOT of gastric distress and plenty of elderly folks have trouble with their digestion.

3 Likes

Soup idea: this butternut squash cashew soup is easy and very creamy, higher in calories from the nuts and coconut milk (use the full fat kind in a can), freezes well since it’s dairy free. Adjust the spices/curry amount as needed , it is not spicey hot as written though. You could swap in another winter squash like kabocha or acorn squash here too.

1 Like

This is not an uncomplicated recipe (Cooks Illustrated Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crumble Topping), but my mother loves it when I deliver a batch to her freezer. I freeze it in about 3/4 cup portions with the crumble topping separate. She then either thaws it in the refrigerator or microwaves it, then puts it in the oven with a generous amount of the topping. It’s really good!

http://traceysculinaryadventures.com/2013/12/chicken-pot-pie-with-savory-crumble-topping-2.html

1 Like