Durian without the smell?

Singaporean scientists have identified the gene which gives durian its signature smell. Also interesting that durian is related to the cacao plant, dating back some 65m years.

I have no qualms eating durian but once or twice I made a mistake of putting it in the fridge not sealing it very very good.

Red the rest of the article on BBC:

Smell is important in contributing to the taste of food. Without it, can we still call it durian?

I guess Durian smell does not bother me at all. So removing the smell is a minus for me. However, we have constantly selectively breed things out. It is just one step of the many steps we have taken.

I am told this is what original wild durian looks like:

Conversely, wild tomatoes and cultivated tomatoes are good examples too:

1 Like

Good points. I like durian. My guys (DH and son) do not. But I don’t think I’d get odorless durian just to placate their noses. It’s part of the whole experience to me.
I wonder how hungry the poor first person to try an original wild durian must have been. It doesn’t look that user friendly. Kind of like an oyster, or artichoke.

If you believe in human evolution, then “we” probably started eating oyster before we were actually human. Anyway, yeah, I agree with you. For me, durian smell is part of the experience. In fact, good experience for me. I actually think a smellness durian will not “taste” as good. Afterall, most of what we perceived to be flavor are actually smell, and not taste on tongues.

Agreed. It has always seemed to me like prying open a bivalve that looks like a rock was the result of near starvation. That’s all. The primate video is fascinating- thanks for posting it.

Come to think of it. What about the browning-resistance apples?

https://www.nature.com/news/genetically-modified-apple-reaches-us-stores-but-will-consumers-bite-1.22969