Dumpling Home [San Francisco, Hayes Valley]

I had an early dinner at Dumpling Home in Hayes Valley on a Sunday. I went on a whim as I was in the neighborhood and it was right before they opened for dinner at 5. When I got there there was already a sizable lineup. They don’t take reservations.

I sat outside in their parklet and had:

Beef Brisket Noodle (Soup) ($18.95)
This was ok. The noodles were medium thin and I think freshly made. They were nice, as were the tender pieces of brisket. The mildly spicy broth however lacked a bit of oomph and depth of flavor. A substantial portion.

Juicy Pork Bao(6) ($13.95)
These are shengjian bao but called Juicy Pork Bao on the menu, which I guess is an apt name for them. Delicious and a must order, still the best SJB I’ve had in SF so far. Very juicy (take care when biting into it!) with a crunchy layer on the pleat side.

Pork Xiao Long Bao(4) ($8.95)
These come in orders of 4 or 8. These were very good XLB. And like the SJB very juicy.

I ordered too much (typical) and took some of the SJB home. I think next time I will stick more to the dumplings.

12 Likes

I live close to Dumpling Home and go often. I agree that it’s best to stick with their (really good) dumplings. The non-dumpling dish on the same level we always get is the green onion ginger noodles. The dishes we get sometimes are the salads — cucumber, tofu strips, jellyfish, pig ear. And also the dried shrimp, egg, and chives pan-fried pockets.

But, ya, the juicy pork bao are one of my favorite things to eat.

Also, love their dishware.

9 Likes

Sparkling rose and dumplings - love it!

3 Likes

Nice pics! Will have to try the green onion ginger noodles sometime. Those dumplings with the skirt look good too.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Bessarabsky Market, Kyiv. Ukraine
Credit: Juan Antonio Segal, Flickr