Drying salad ingredients

OK, I’m far from being a food safety freak, but every time I use a spinner, there’s pale green water left in the bowl. I can’t not wash that away.

Most salad greens I use aren’t particularly dirty to begin with. My favorite lettuces - the four gem lettuce pack from Aldi - can sometimes be grungier, so I just rinse it a couple of times if necessary until the water runs clear. Not a huge fan of mud or dirt in my salad bowl :wink:

1 Like

It’s the unseen wash of organic matter I worry about putting into storage.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t worry about that.

Dish soap, dish brush and hot water sink sprayer are all I use. Air dry.

1 Like

Every single time? That’s one clean spinner :wink:

1 Like

Sometimes I’ll just let the cat lick it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Yeah, those tongues can scrape off any residual moisture!:cat2:

4 Likes

And more! Note: do not leave unwrapped butter unattended. The grooves are a dead giveaway of feline sampling.

8 Likes

I regret not trying to fix my old Zyliss when it broke. I just needed to replace the string. I have an oxo which is fine but not nearly as good as one with a pull cord. I thought I would like having the stop function which the Zyliss did not have but it makes no difference.

1 Like

I don’t mind cleaning it but I still usually skip using it because, like you, it feels like one more annoying step to getting dinner on table. I tried storing it in my salad bowl in hopes it would encourage me to do it more often with no effect.

That’s a new one. Do the edges ever get dried out while the centers are still wet?

I wash my greens in a big bowl of water, changing as necessary until the water is no longer murky or sandy, then I put it in the OXO spinner. I don’t use the spinner for washing, although DH does and I don’t like it a bit. Makes the whole thing dirtier.

Small OXO pump spinner that has a button “brake”. (Went with the pump kind as I heard the pull strings can break.)

It’s just me, so I can spin enough for a salad in one go. Then I rinse the plastic colander, pick out any bits of lettuce, and drain until dry (same for plastic bowl). Never goes in the dishwasher.

Goes back in its storage box on the shelf of my hall closet, which is my pantry.

7 Likes

That’s the same one I have. I’m a bit mystified at the amount of dirt other spinners seem to be collecting (?).

4 Likes

Same. I rinse in the spinner bowl, then lift the leaves into the basket (so the dirt gets left behind) and spin - no need for a separate bowl. Maybe some especially sandy spinach needs an additional rinse or two, but I never need to scrub any part of the spinner.

2 Likes

No, it’s sort of like tempering chocolate in the microwave.

Keep an eye on it.

Use lowest setting on air fryer (mine is 105), and do it for no more than 30 seconds at a time, before opening up the basket and checking. I usually go for 15-20 seconds, check, repeat as necessary.

1 Like

No one has talked about buying pre-washed greens. Do people not do that, or they just don’t trust them and wash them again?

(And the discussion seems to be about greens only
I guess washing and drying carrots is not a big issue.)

1 Like

I don’t see the point of spending the extra money, when it’s so little trouble to wash them myself. Also, I always think those pre-washed greens smell weird.

5 Likes

This, also pre-washed bagged greens never have the variety or selection of the greens I want in a salad.

2 Likes