Dried Chiles in SF

Hi HO! Hope you all are having a lovely day :slight_smile:

Any ideas where to find the highest quality and/or widest variety of dried chiles (morita, chipotle, ancho, pasilla, arbol, etc.) in the city of SF? I often use them in recipes, and could use a reliable source!

Thanks all

1 Like

Casa Lucas on 24th usually has about six to eight types in the bulk bins. Ancho, negro, guajillo, arbol, and a few others I can’t remember now. While you’re on that block you’ll probably want to check the selection at La Palma. I’m only a novice with cooking with dried chiles so can’t speak to quality, but I imagine these two have decent turnover in their stock.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea! This was my first thought, and it’s always nice to hit up La Palma for their tortillas as well.

I just remembered Spice Ace, an independent spice shop on Steiner. They have an impressive selection online, so I might go check them out, too.

My first thought also was La Palma. Probably far cheaper than an independent spice shop.

Of course! But I am happy to pay for variety and quality

As mentioned above, Casa Lucas will have most of the chilies used in Latin American cuisine. Rainbow Grocery also has a wonderful bulk spice section that has many different dried chilies and chili powders. I should also mention Oaktown Spice Shop in Oakland, where I’ve seen some more esoteric and superhot dried chilies.

1 Like

I get mine from
https://www.thechileguy.com/products/peppers/