DRIED BEANS/LEGUMES (or canned) - Your favorite recipes / applications?

Yes! Those work wonders!

1 Like

Well huh! That’s a new one to me but i’ll certainly keep in mind, I haven’t made black bean soup in a long time

I have an aunt who uses instant mashed potatoes as her secret ingredient for thickening restaurant-style indian gravy dishes (instead of cream)!

4 Likes

The first time I learned about the instant mashed was visiting a cousin in Paris, France and a friend of hers came over to prepare a meal with us. (She was a professional cook in at a restaurant in the 14th ad. )
She noted that she was taught that trick while taking a class for vegetables, needless to say I picked up and have run with ever since. I now will serve dairy with the soups on the side, especially bean/legumes soups.

Just finished chopping and dicing vegetables, and mincing hamburger for my BH’s Upper Midwest Chili. Her Chili always contains Brooks Chili Beans (HOT), so that differentiates it from Texas Chili.

1 Like

I can’t eat chili with kidney beans, but I think I can use the blackeyed peas for a white chili, which would be very different than what I normally do with them - thanks for the prompt!

1 Like

I hope it turns out great for you.

1 Like

I make Bean Soup several times a year. Sometimes with Great Northern Beans, other times with Navy Beans. My key ingredient with using either beans is to start the soup with a roux. Indulgent.

1 Like

A Indian Friends recipe for Goa Style Black Eyed Peas
http://legacy.culinate.com/content/42586/index.html

3 Likes

I have 4 one pound bags of chickpeas. Hummus is a given but looking for some new dishes to make it shine

Falafel. Which doesn’t shine (because that would be weird) but is nonetheless good.

3 Likes

You could use the Puerto Rican Beans recipe I posted above. Another possibility is obviously Chana Masala.

Ooh, definitely make that chickpea salad recipe i linked towards the beginning of this thread, it’s great and doesn’t really register as “oh I’m eating a lot of chickpeas”.
And of course spiced fried or baked chickpeas make a great snack or crunchy thing for soups and salad

1 Like

My link above had a bunch of Ottolenghi chickpea recipes that are more recent

You can also use chickpeas in the Ragda recipe I made - in north India it’s called Aloo Tikki Chhole, same idea as a Chana Masala, but simpler. Cut up a boiled potato and add it if you don’t feel like making the patties.

1 Like

Wow, what wonderful suggestions. Seriously! Now I need to pick up more garbanzos

1 Like

I happened upon King Tut purple peas the other day at Rare Seeds, looking for some Tunisian bakouti peppers recommended by Weezie for harrissa. Are they the same?

They look just like in the photos I posted but am not sure about the background story, though.

Here’s a variety that is hard to find, even where it is grown. (Grand)mums grow these beans in their (allotment) gardens and after harvesting they dry them on string in the house. The East Frisians eat them in the winter in a dish called “Updrögt Bohnen” (dried beans in East Frisian dialect). Cooked and mixed with roughly mashed potatoes, pod and all. Eaten with smoked Speck and (smoked) sausages alongside. One of the “national dishes” of East Frisia.

Photo on wiki.

1 Like

I’m in a class about “The Mediterranean Diet”, and watching a demonstration of making “fava with tomato braised capers” using dry yellow split peas. It can use other peas)m)beans, and is used as a spread.

3 Likes

Asking from a patient’s view here, do dietary needs for specific afflictions and diseases get covered or do you absorb general knowledge and make it specific to your patients?’

The focus for the conference seems to be diseases that are related to diet; cardiovascular/coronary artery diseas, diabetes and pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, certain cancers. I may have missed a few*. For me, I am mostly counseling my patients about weight gain, elevated lipids and pre-diabetes. These are potential side effects of some medications I end up prescribing.

*IBS, celiac, and Gluten sensitivity.

1 Like