@DrewCoffman Here’s a video of a guy putting a camera on a sushi conveyer belt. It’s wonderful. Every table has a little story!

Leaving aside that different countries/cultures have different laws and fundamental, unwritten rules of acceptable public behavior, I don’t think anyone has a reasonable expectation of privacy even in the US with respect to what can be seen or overheard (and by extension, paid attention to in with any real focus or concentration) by other humans at the tables near theirs, but I very definitely consider that I can reasonably expect not to have someone else’s camera show up at my table unannounced, or for someone else’s photos/videos of me showing up on the Interwebz unless I know about it first and approve (except maybe my blurry profile or the back of my head in the background of photos of themselves…

No doubt I’m showing my age, but I consider that taking photos in places like restaurants (versus amusement parks or at “tourist attractions”, for example) is a species of “privilege”, not some sort of inalienable human right, and if you can’t go about it in a civilized manner, your toys should be taken away…

3 Likes

On a more serious note, I find it kind of interesting that apparently no one (who noticed it) just turned the thing on its side, pointing the lens downward. Which is what I probably would’ve done if I’d noticed it… not to mention bringing it to the attention of the waitstaff… “Waiter! Whatever that camera’s doing in my sushi, it isn’t the backstroke!” (with apologies to the shades of at least a couple of generations of surly Jewish deli waiters.:grin:)

3 Likes

I think people vary widely in what they find invasive. While many don’t think about the implications of their image being put out there some people who do. I know several who have had stalkers, I know 1 person in witness protection, and I know many who just plain prefer not to have their photo taken without their expressed permission. All of these are valid reasons to respect. In some cases, there may be life-threatening ramifications.

The age of selfies and video/photo documentation of one’s life is still fairly new. The ramifications of these exercises are just beginning to be dealt with. On the plus side, I have been seeing more public meetings alerting the audience of video/photo activity. They also let the audience know who to speak with if they do not wish to be included. That level of understanding/respect/responsibility is hopefully becoming the new norm.

I thought it was cool . You know you are on camera everywhere you go . Big deal .

It’s not a BIG deal, but I know what I am asked to do if I want to share photos of participants at an activity I’m hosting, and I think it’s fair. Especially when it’s minors. I think it’s one thing to have my picture taken for “safety”, but it feels like something else if it’s for others entertainment.

Don’t get me wrong; I enjoyed this a lot. But right after I enjoyed it, I wondered if it was okay with the folks in it. If it was okay, WAY cool, and I want to see more!

1 Like

I’m not at all thrilled that we (among others) have become such a “routine-surveillance-oriented” society generally, but to me the biggest issue here is posting it on the Internet. I mean, if some random chucklehead wants to privately snicker (or God forbid, engage in other activity I’d prefer not to know about at all :rofl:) at video footage taken of me anywhere outside my home, I really don’t care all that much. On the other hand, I do care, as a general matter, if they make it available to (potentially) everyone in the world who has Internet access, potentially forever, and in the right (or wrong) circumstances, I might care very much indeed…

2 Likes

True. But these are not situations when your image is put on line. Except the rare circumstances when a routine video has become important evidence when a crime is committed.

1 Like