Doughs and desserts that are not baked

Yum! What is in your gozleme?

I’ve enjoyed a mango chili gelato and a mango lime gelato, which haven’t been too sweet.

I also like this vacherin. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/mango-basil-vacherin

2 Likes

Spinach, onions, ricotta-like local queso crema, and kefir cream for tang. I could see doing a bunch of different fillings, though!

6 Likes

I’ve made these broccolini, feta and pine nut gozelemes many times. It’s delicious.

I’ve made friends with the blogger and she told me that she likes to use whole wheat for half of the flour. I followed her recommendation and they’re even better with half whole wheat flour. In addition to adding additional flavor, they brown better.

I disagree that the dry Marsala is optional. It adds a smoky flavor that I believe makes the gozlemes taste extraordinary.

As there’s only one rise, I don’t have to plan very far ahead to make them for dinner.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I’ve been meaning to try making tortillas from masa arepa since I cannot get masa harina here and in the event I can even find corn tortillas, they’re usually extremely stale. I have said I don’t find corn tortillas from masa harina worth making because I don’t think they taste better than store-bought assuming you have access to decent tortillas. Corn tortillas are to me not much to eat on their own, but as a vehicle for taco fillings, the corn flavor and texture work perfectly.
Trying to make tortillas from masa arepa as tortillas are traditionally made, I still felt they weren’t something I enjoyed. So I added 1% salt and just a little sugar and wouldn’t you know, I made corn tortillas that I think are legitimately tasty on their own. And they taste great in a cobbled together taco. I only had the yellow masa arepa for this experiment, but I’m going to get white to make more and plan some tacos. Ratio is equal parts by volume corn flour to warm water.

8 Likes

I find a squeeze of lime doesn’t hurt the flavor of a corn tortilla.

2 Likes

A half batch of Claire Saffitz’s chocolate coupes in 6 oz cups.

Was guessing on the amounts and didn’t pipe the cream in, so not super neat. Have no tasted yet, but the pudding is very good because it’s nicely salted, which makes all the difference to me when it comes to enjoying chocolate anything, but especially pudding.

7 Likes

Ive made this dessert, we loved it.

3 Likes

I found an old box of raspberry flavored ‘Danish Dessert’ and mixed it up with strawberries. Oh, it was still good. The expiration date was from 2012. No dough and no bake, although I could have made some shortcakes for it.

1 Like

My neighbor insisted on giving me some mangoes in spite of my protestations, so I made mango float and it’s pretty good. Mangoes, Maria cookies (I thought they were a better match than digestives), and cream lightly sweetened with condensed milk.
A little sour cream or yogurt or even cream cheese in the mix would give it some tang that would make it even better.

7 Likes

Half batch of Cook’s Illustrated eclair cake. It’s made with a from scratch pudding instead of box mix and some ganache for the top.
It’s delicious, though a touch sweet in my opinion. I find a lot of CI recipes can run into this issue.

4 Likes

We had this at an early morning staff meeting one time. It was lovely, although a little too sweet for me that early. There are a few knock iff recipes that are simpler, but I think all the work put into this makes it worth every little crumb. Someone referred to it as ‘Sex In A Dish’, but I think that name goes with another recipe, somewhere.

3 Likes

Made super light and fluffy, tender donuts to fill with some passion curd and raspberry jam.

11 Likes

Will you marry me?

2 Likes

I decided to make some cannoli, but with mascarpone cream instead of ricotta since I’m not the biggest fan of the classic ricotta filling. I remembered Claudia Fleming has a mascarpone cream for cannoli and made that, though a bit differently based on ingredients. I used Dominican queso crema instead of goat cheese and processed it with the sugar and yogurt. I then whipped the mascarpone and added that mix to it. I added a few pinches of salt because mascarpone to me really needs some salt otherwise I find the flavor sort of sickly; I used rum instead of Grand Marnier and added vanilla extract, too.
This alone made a delicious cream that would have been perfect for my cannoli as the sugar was just right, but I kind of forgot to factor in that this filling was for lace cookies in Fleming’s version. Once I whipped cream and folded it in I realized my cannoli weren’t going to be sweet enough. I added lots of powdered sugar to the tops and used milk chocolate for the ends. The cannoli are very tasty. They feel light and fresh. And everyone has liked them. I wish they were sweeter though.
I’m tempted to leave the cream without the whipped cream folded in next time because that cream was delicious. But I also like the version with whipped cream and if I just add two more tablespoons of sugar initially it should be the perfect amount for shells.
Of course, if making the lace cookies then the cream is perfect as is.

10 Likes

Here’s one for using up sourdough discard. I made a batch today, but no photo- we gobbled them up before I could take one. These were great for a quick snack on their own, but I can also see them easily used taco or blin-style for holding all kinds of bits, bobs and leftovers.

3 Likes

@LulusMom1 might be interested in this recipe.

2 Likes

Made Aya Caliva’s delicious strawberry mousse. This one incorporates Italian meringue for the sweetness and it’s just right. It’s light and very brightly strawberry-flavored.

5 Likes

Yes! Thank you, I am absolutely interested!