Doughs and desserts that are not baked

Got a craving for some savory stuffed dough item, so I made these beef-stuffed layered pancakes. Delicious!

10 Likes

Yum. Pan-fried and then stuffed? Or stuffed first?

If I ever attempt PC cheesecake again, I’ll have remember this!

1 Like

The raw meat is spread onto the dough and it’s all folded up and cooked with a lid on to make sure the dough gets some steam. Meat has the usual seasonings like soy, oyster sauce, Sichuan peppercorn, fresh ginger, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks! What are they called?

They’re a type of bing, which can be a lot of different types and includes items like scallion pancakes. These are a meat-stuffed bing. They’re not baked nor do they have sesame seeds, so they technically aren’t shaobing.
They’re also unleavened. I sometimes make ones with yeast.

3 Likes

Have eaten (and made) bing before, but this layered version is new to me (and sounds delicious and not too hard to attempt).

It’s pretty interesting how many cultures have these kinds of stuffed (and not) flatbreads - bing, parathas, gozleme, and so on!

Curious if whole wheat flour is used much for bing or other Chinese flatbreads – for Indian home breads the default is whole wheat, with bleached / AP (“maida”) used mostly for bakery / restaurant applications (eg naan).

ETA: @Shellybean this video popped up when I looked at the one you linked, and it made me laugh because I thought “finally I can use my George Foreman grill again” :rofl:

1 Like

Ha, it does seem ideal for this sort of thing.
I’ve been craving more of these since I made them. Or maybe scallions pancakes. But I’ll be making some of the oft-repeated stovetop pizza pockets for now.

In no-bake dessert news, today I made a half batch of Stella Parks’ homemade Cool Whip and I have to say it’s pretty great and I’ve never been a fan of the original substance :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It’s definitely sweeter than whipped cream, but it has a nice ice-cream like flavor and a very creamy texture. In her book she calls for a bit less cream than the recipe on Serious Eats, and I would actually increase the cream even more, to 16 oz for a full recipe. This will make it a bit less sweet (the sweetness doesn’t bother me here, but at some point I am considering making ice cream cake and trying this as the frosting and might want less sweetness) and a bit fluffier.
The other thing is next time I think I’d prefer to whip the cream separately and fold it into the marshmallow. The marshmallow can be whisked separately to loosen up, or a little bit of cream can be beaten into it and the rest whipped and folded in. This is reduce the amount of time I needed to whip the cream and will keep it colder since it won’t be mixed with the room temp marshmallow.

Considering how sour the strawberries here tend to be, this would be great for dipping them.

2 Likes

In regular rotation here. Anytime I mince Beef or Pork a little goes aside to make Xian Bing or Qian ceng rou bing

2 Likes

No bake cake time. This is like the honey cake I made stovetop except the layers contain cocoa. These are the type of layers that are cake batter rather than dough you roll out. I spread the batter over parchment and placed that in a skillet. The power went out when I was finishing up the frosting, so I basically stacked this in the dark. Finished with some of the hot fudge sauce I still have.
Filling is a mousseline of sorts, though much more pastry cream than butter. Delicious!

15 Likes

I made these with some modifications here and there as is usually the case and they are delicious.
It was time for me to trim my garlic chives again, so this was a good use. Unfortunately, as I already knew, flies REALLY love garlic chives, so frying these is unnerving due to the swarm that shows up to chase after that pungent scent.
I would not recommend going past 24 hours with these as juice starts to leak out and makes the dough sticky.
I went with 200 g bread flour and 150 g AP flour to try to emulate her Canadian AP and should have gone either all bread flour or at least 250 g as my dough was a touch stickier than hers, but nothing all that significant.

4 Likes

I made steamed bbq pork buns to satisfy a craving. I like making these old school style with a sourdough starter, so that was another reason, as I wanted to put my starter to use. These are nowhere near as good as the last time I made them, as the dough here was more just a steamed bun dough rather than specifically for char siu bao. So this dough only contained yeast in the form of sourdough starter vs ammonia and baking powder, which help the dough to develop the signature cracks typical of char siu bao. Last time I cobbled together a dough with both those ingredients and it was very exciting seeing the buns open up.
These are still deliciously fluffy and a nice pale color, but the dough is more for other types of buns.

4 Likes

That’s the texture I like in those buns. :yum:

1 Like

I combined two things I don’t care for here in mango and crepe cake. I don’t care for crepe cakes for a few reasons. One being that the crepes for crepe cakes and (also the dim sum mango rolls) are purposely cooked pale and soft, and I think crepes are best when nicely browned.
Two is that I find cold crepes kind of sad and flabby. I just don’t think they’re particularly delicious. Even the most celebrated crepe cakes are just fine to me, but nothing I would ever choose to eat. Meanwhile the mango crepe rolls are extremely bland for my liking because it’s mildly flavored and very sweet mangoes, tasteless crepes, and mildly sweet cream (crepe cakes also tend to be on the tasteless side tbh). But we got a bunch of mangoes again (people here will give you mangoes and also avocados no matter how much you protest that you can’t possibly consume them all), and I have cream sitting in the fridge that I can’t use to bake as I originally intended, so might as well give these things another try.

I don’t have instant pudding and I was definitely not buying any just for this (and because I haven’t looked I’m not entirely sure it’s even sold here the way Jello is since gelatin is more popular in Latin countries than pudding). I made half the cream with the respective amount of sugar, a generous splash of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. It has the perfect sweetness and a very nice vanilla flavor and I don’t find it necessary to stabilize cream for something like this anyway.

The crepes I added 2% salt. There is nothing more depressing than a saltless crepe, and less than 2% salt is still pretty sad. I used my large nonstick pan to cook them.
There’s no sense as to how many rolls this recipe makes (she doesn’t list a yield), so even with half the amount I think two rolls would have been good to split the cream between. As it was I made a single roll and definitely had too much cream. But I must admit the ends with just whipped cream were delicious. Still, part of that I think is the crepes themselves were still room temp while the cream was cold. Once cold I don’t know if I’ll feel the same. I got a piece with mango in it and felt the mango was in the way, inserting its obtrusive sweetness. :joy: It does not taste bad, but the mango also doesn’t do anything for me.

I’m trying not to make mango ice cream again, but it might be the best solution while the oven continues to be down. Or I purée them and save for when I’m able to bake again or in the mood for something like mango and passion fruit sorbet.

2 Likes

I love a bowl of rice pudding with a ladle of mango custard in the center. I think Indian buffets are wonderful.

I would love for you to make it again with a videographer. Wow.

1 Like

This cake got better and better with each passing day, so it is definitely one I wouldn’t mind making again.

1 Like

Raspberry jelly squares and no-bake brownies

Capture.PNG

4 Likes

Tiramisu

4 Likes

Scallion pancakes (cong you bing). I was originally going to make them with sourdough discard, but I ended up using it, so did the classic flaky, thin paratha-type with a smattering of scallions. A little white pepper and five spice (not enough to taste it really) went into the flour and lard paste for these. They came out great. Super crisp and flaky and perfectly flavored.

11 Likes