Don't call it a HODown - Zoni's rt 35 Middletown

Since Zoni’s is so confident in their pizza that they are giving away a large Margherita pie, I thought I would see for myself. But since I am a bit hard in my reviews, I figure that a few other opinions would be more fair.

So I am looking for 1-3 HOs who are available to meet up at Zoni’s this Thursday, July 8th at 6 pm. In addition to our free pizza, I am up to try other things, especially the white clam pie as they make it like my favorite from Frank Pepe’s in New Haven.

2 Likes

Have a great time! I can’t make Thursday but I expect a full report!

1 Like

Count me in. Maybe plus 1.

1 Like

Dang - I’m working Thursday night but I can’t wait to read the reviews.

1 Like

Great @BossaNova It’ll be good to see you two again!

1 Like

I met @BossaNova at Zoni’s last night. The decor/ambiance is basically Brooklyn slice joint, but we didn’t care, we came for the pizza. In addition to our free Margherita pie we also got a Vongola pie ( white clam with dressed arugula on top.

The pies had a nice char on a good crust. The mozz on the Margherita was fresh, the tomato sauce was good, making a nice pie. Honestly, it was good. But we have plenty of “good” pizza locally. Their press said “the best pizza in NJ.” This isn’t even the best pizza in Monmouth county.

Perhaps I had my sights set too high. I know I did on the white clam pie. Many joints hereabouts make a clam pie. Most of them also use red sauce on it. I was so psyched to try a white clam pie that I was already reminiscing about Frank Pepe’s version that I love so much. This was not even close to that.

Neither one of us ate that much pizza so we ended up going maybe a half mile up rt 35 to House of Chong - but that’s another thread…

8 Likes

Well, that’s disappointingly underwhelming! But I love the fact that you ate there, and then left for another place! True HO’s!

4 Likes

Yeah unfortunately now that you called my attention to it, I don’t see where they disclose who, what or where they were voted “Best Pizza”. For all we know they could have had an employee meeting for “Who has the best pie in Monmouth County” and that was the outcome. lol

Sorry you guys didn’t like it, would like to hear your opinion on HOC.

2 Likes

Pictures of the pizza. No reason to return. Nothing special.

4 Likes

Pretty fair assessment. Pizza is good not spectacular. The wings were very good I recall

3 Likes

Jeff, tell us what you really think please. Don’t feel like you have to hold back, after all they were voted best pizza in the galaxy !!!

4 Likes

I am not sure but I think this is the place with the great PIZZA neon sign. Have always wanted to try it.

1 Like

Hardly seems worth the trip when there are probably 30 pizza places within 5 miles of me - and one of the side of the circle is ocean. Not all of them are great - or even good - but enough are. Thanks for the great report.

2 Likes

Aww man too bad I just saw this. I have one of these coupons at home too, not expecting much, but free pizza is best pizza!

3 Likes