Donkey, horse, dog, squirrel, antelope, cat...

Yes, terrific movie.

Wow, Presunto!

You get around, JMF.

It needs a lot doing with it, if it is not to be boring and bland.

A guy I used to know from the hospital where I’m a volunteer, had a gun licence (you know the UK, so you’ll know how rare that it, particularly for someone in an urban area). He had an arrangement with a farm on the fringe of the metro area to shoot there - farmer got pest control, guy got dinner. From time to time, he’d bring me in a couple (thankfully skinned and gutted). They were often old animals, so quite tough - easier just to stew them rather than anything more interesting.

Farm rabbits we get here are of younger age and tender but more muscular than chicken, so simple roasted rabbit will usually end up a bit dry. Most chicken recipes with sauce you can replace it with rabbit with slight increase time of cooking.

Lièvre or hare is another story, it is considered as game meat and need much more time in cooking, and a stronger sauce like reduced red wine. I guess maybe more similar to the rabbits you got as gifts. Lièvre à la royale is a famous and technical dish one must try if you are visiting France in November or December.

2 Likes

Unfortunately my trip this year is going to be in October and, even then, only a very fleeting visit. On the centenary year of the end of the Great War, I plan to visit the graves of two great uncles who were killed - one in France (Somme), the other in Belgium. The uncle in Belgium was one of 15 men killed liberating a village and the local community plans a commemorative event at the cemetery where they are buried. My plan is to be there and, next day, drive down to the Somme to visit the other grave and a memorial to the men killed liberating another village in 1916 (my grandfather survived that attack).

Not much time for food on this trip - although we plan to shop at Carrefour in Calais before getting the ferry back to the UK.

I hope u have a nice trip
Incidentally, I saw on either Netflix or Amazon Prime a movie about some Americans liberating a village in Belgium. The village erected a monument for them and have cooperative event for them. Would this be the village your uncle was involved with?

'Fraid not. Me and the ancestors are British, not American (although one niece could become President I think, as she was born in NY - and a nephew holds joint Spanish/British nationality, having been born there to a Spanish father).

FWIW, (and apologies for going well off-topic) this is Great Uncle Robert’s story:
http://www.hellfirecorner.co.uk/hartley/jhbrough.htm

1 Like

we are a melting pot aren’t we?
I was born in the Philippines of Chinese ancestry’
My husband, now deceased is of primarily Scottish with British, Irish, German blood.
His family came long time ago, My mother in law is a genealogist and traced his ancestors , helped with the book ’ THE CRAZY JOHNSTONS"
Apparently, they were horse thieves back in the old country.
I guess my son can also become US President if qualified!!!

1 Like

Frog legs, tastes like chicken.

Rabbit chili with a jackrabbit I killed.

Chicken fried deer tenderloin, delicious.

My grandmother used to panfry whole squirrels my brother and I killed, look out for shotgun pellets.

Dove breasts wrapped in bacon and baked, chicken fried quail.

1 Like

I could have eaten dog meat several times in China but I didn’t want to. The butchered dogs or hind quarters were just left sitting around carelessly. The meat section at the market is always so dark and when you got used to the darkness what you saw was a gruesome scene. Also, they could have been stray mangy dogs!

In Vietnam, on the way back from Ha Long Bay (to Ha Noi) I saw many restaurants on 1 street serving cat and dog meat. Koreans say people still eat dogs in small towns.

I ate sparrow and field mice once, a long time ago when I was more stupid-adventurous. Not recommended. Too many bones! Both were bbq’ed. Grossed out yet? :smile: I saw dried rats and dogs in China. How do they cook them, anyone knows? They look very stiff. Probably needs to be softened first.

Frog legs are quite normal, though only in Taiwan I ate a whole one without head and it was big. The size of a man’s hand fully stretched, probably. Usually frogs are just tiny pairs of legs.

Forgot to add alligator. I thought it was tasteless and never bought it the second time.

Armadillo - chewy and chemical aftertaste

Rattlesnake - bland

Some other snake - bland

Bison, moose, wild venison - gamey

Ostrich, emu (farmed)

Wild pheasant, squab, quail - incredibly flavorful

Seal meat - super fishy and oily, very hard to eat

Geoduck and sea cucumber

Bear - nearly inedible, incredibly strong taste, tough

Alligator galore - steak, stew, jerky, popcorn fried

Chocolate-covered ants

Fresh honeycomb with bee larvae