Doner House Englishtown

Does it show signs of someone moving in?

1 Like

There is a banner on it “Coming Soon” but for the life of me I can’t recall what exactly it said.

2 Likes

I don’t remember the exact name but it’s a Turkish restaurant

1 Like

A few things:

1. The place coming into Nonna’s old space across the street is Turkish and the new owners are not new to the business. I saw the name but I don’t remember

2. Doner House continues to put out really good food. The white sauce is growing on me, especially when I mix it with a little Greek yogurt or mayonaise to make it more like the white sauce at halal guys, but the red sauce is the one to get. If you haven’t gotten their chicken doner , go now!

3. I finally tried their mixed grill today. There was a skewer each of chicken and lamb shish, both were juicy and had nice flavor. There was also a lamb adana patty that was very tasty and decent portions of both lamb and chicken doner as well as rice, salad, and pita bread. There is more than enough for two good eaters here and I am happy to have lots left to share with my neighbors.

4. Try the lentil soup. I make lentil soup so I wouldn’t have tried it, but an Uzbek friend of mine swears it’s perfect. I don’t think anything is perfect but it’s pretty damn good. If pressed I will admit it’s even better than mine :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Istanbul Premium is the name of the restaurant “coming soon” (according to the banner) to Nonna’s old location. It will be the third (!) Turkish restaurant in that area of Route 9, in Marlboro.

3 Likes

Istanbul Premium’s “coming soon” sign is gone. And though it appears to be open for business (Christmas decorations outside), I can’t find a website.

I had the name slightly wrong. The correct name is Istanbul Bay Premium. It’s related to two restaurants in Brooklyn with a similar name. There is a website for the Marlboro location, but it’s still under construction. I called. The person I spoke to said the menu is now on their Instagram page. Looks good. We’ll try them via take-out soon. (For those of you who are dining indoors, there is a video of the interior. Very nice.)

1 Like

We got takeout lamb & beef gyros. Neither one of us liked them. FWIW

Sorry, but as someone who grew up in northern California and studied the Donner Party in 4th grade, this cracks me up.
Favorite joke:
Over restaurant PA system: Donner - party of 12. Donner - party of 11, etc. Never failed to amuse us.

3 Likes

Like East Bay?

Marin

Contra Costa here.

(There was an existing thread on this location, so I merged the threads)

But that ruins the joke.

It is “Doner House”, however, not “Donner House”.

1 Like

No matter who (whom?) Theyre serving, its not very good.

2 Likes