Donabe Rice Cookers

I have a number of donabe cookers (but not a dedicated rice donabe), and a gin donabe (smoker). I find the quality of the rice, when cooked properly in a donabe, is unmatched (I love my Zoj too, but that’s a whole other game).

I often put all sorts of things on top of the rice before turning on the donabe. Veg, ginger, sometimes fish (which cooks the fish a little bit too much for my liking, but in the general Japanese style of cooking fish a lot). Works great for assorted mushrooms…

Donabe lunch 05-08

11 Likes

Wow, just wow!

1 Like

The CMOS battery on mine died a while ago so I have to reset the time whenever I use it, but that just takes a few seconds. I wonder how easy it is to replace (idle curiosity)

Yeah. I have two other “regular” donabe beside this rice cooker donabe.

1 Like

I love my Zojirushi rice cooker, but every once in a while I really miss the lovely aroma of rice cooked in a clay pot (plus, crunchy rice bottoms!!). I haven’t easily found smaller sized donabe or clay pots that don’t require me to cook rice for a family of 5+.

@Chemicalkinetics - did you find this at your local Japanese or Asian grocery store?

1 Like

Tastytravails, your photo is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Well, now I need to research donabe cookers in general.

1 Like

The most common ones I have seen is this one.

So when I found a slightly unusual one at a Japanese ceramic store, then I bought it. I bought it from Utsuwa-no-yakata

I am opposite. I have a few Japanese donabe and Chinese clayware which more 1-2 person size.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between the donabes and the chinese clay pots?

1 Like

Here, you can tell most of my donabe and “sand” clayware are not huge. My two regular donabe (on the left) are what people considered as 1 person and 1-2 person. I put a ruler to help put things in perspective. The lower left one has a inner diameter smaller than 6 inches.

I forgot to mention that my rice cooker has an inner lid and outer lid.

I did buy a couple of larger donabe, but I bought them as gifts. :slight_smile:

5 Likes
1 Like

While looking up donabe cookware I found a photo of one for sale on eBay that’s a dead ringer for two that I have. They were given to my parents by friends who’d been to Japan. This was in the mid-to-late '50s. The pots are quite a bit bigger than the five that Chemical Kinetics showed a photo of. I’ll add a photo of the eBay one since mine are behind a bunch of stuff and high up, but the shape and design are nearly identical.
They aren’t like the rice cooker, more like the one on the lower left, and look to be more glazed. Do I dare use these on the stove?
donabe

Add images here

1 Like

I do have one precious Chinese clay pot that I put on the stove, but I tend to mind that pot a lot while cooking. I’ve heard that you can only use these on open flames, save not electric ranges. You’re not supposed to use it on high heat, and even to get it up to medium you have to start slow and then gently bring to medium. It’s certainly not for quick cooking!

If you have a gas range, I would put some liquid in that and give it a try.

1 Like

All good advice- thanks

Chem!! Long time no hear :slight_smile: How’s the knife collection going these days? (petek from that other food site)

4 Likes

Hey, what’s up. Yeah, I remember you, Petek. I haven’t collected many knives since then except just a couple. I got a Glestain gyuto which I like. It is pretty stickless. When the knife is sharp, it can dice up a tomato without the knife picking up any piece, which makes it easy to work.

5 Likes

What a great photo, Chem- explains everything and it’s beautiful too

2 Likes

Hey Petek,

I have just recently ordered this knife for a friend. I haven’t received it yet and it is in back-ordered… It looks nice on paper too. VG-10 stainless steel core with a 60-61 HRC hardness. Magnolia wood handle with buffalo horn ferrule. A wood saya too. The knife blade pattern is also nice. If it performs, then I may post a review here.

1 Like

Hey Chem,
Nice looking knife, and a decent price. Is this Korin’s “house brand”? If so I wonder who is making it for them.

Hi Petek,

Definitely their house brand. Not sure which factory they work with.