Does the equipment matter?

I’m afraid the Youngs don’t know how to use them. On several occasions I’ve bought boxes of disposable fountain pens and packs of nice notepads and handed them out to my college classes - then I ask them to try writing - most don’t even know how to put the nib on the paper correctly (think upside down). I tell them to enjoy trying, and make sure that they put the caps back on securely when the throw them in their backpacks. :joy:

2 Likes

I my opinion you have not described a better car. Just a car that’s smarter than the typical driver. Modern cars can make up for the lack of attention and skill of a typical driver.

A better car is something else. It’s got a higher power to weight ratio for more acceleration, a taut suspension so you can hit the corners just right and ideally manual transmission so you can adjust the gears to the conditions or at least flappy paddles.

I have a high performance coupe that I take out on sunny days and drive on the wonderful windy road over and around hills where I am up and down shifting like crazy. The engine howls and makes sounds like a bass symphony. It corners like it’s on those proverbial rails in tight turns. Does it make me a better driver? No. But it makes driving so much more enjoyable and when you know how to use a car like it, it’s glorious.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Michelin three star chef Eric Ripert doing fish in Vollrath non-stick restaurant supply pan:

3 Likes

Would that be considered a “crappy pan”?

I love watching (and hearing!) him cook. Can you tell when that was?

NVM; I found it.

I love that he uses Wondra flour. When I read that, my years of secret shame vanished. :joy:

5 Likes

I am currently just aspiring to be as smart as the typical driver.

2 Likes

Not sure if I agree - that is like saying that there is bread without recognizing that there are many types of bread or would you say a baguette and a whole wheat sourdough boule are practically the same ?
Also a NY-style pizza tastes and has a very different dough consistency than a neapolitan one - perhaps you should try to eat different styles of pizza and see their differences
And I doubt that your pizza is comparable to one cooked at 900F

2 Likes

Lots of professional cooks use things that many home cooks who are trying to become Escoffier even though this is the 21st century would treat with disdain. They also know when they can take shortcuts. Read any Bourdain cooking book. He loved revealing those things. I am not saying they all do (although personally I would not rule out the possibility), but a fair number do. If some necessary ingredient in the kitchen has a problem (too thin, not enough, tastes funky, etc.), a good cook with waiting tables can’t stop and say, “Hey, let’s make some new demi.” But they can probably find or throw together quickly something that will still yield a wonderful dish. As to Wondra, clumping in the middle of service is an easy risk to eliminate. So use it!

1 Like

Not sure how your comment is related to the pizza discussion - I am not saying you can’t use shortcuts but saying all pizza styles are pretty much the same is very unrealistic.

Looks great . But not making New York style pizza .l will be making pizza Napolitano. The oven needs to be close to 900 degrees. After the fifth try in my oven using the btoiler different rack heights and working with different dough recipes. I have decided on the Gozney arc XL
Expensive. Yes . It wiil reach that temperature. Its a very nice tool for outdoor cooking this summer .
Pizza ready in 90 seconds

Not crappy at all.

1 Like

Andre Soltner used Wondra to make puff pastry at Lutece.

2 Likes

I’ve often said, here (I believe) and certainly on the other forum we all used to frequent, that a highly accomplished home chef could easily be integrated into a professional kitchen. They might even be bored in a Michelin kitchen, at least until they rose through the ranks.

Not a crappy pan at all. However, did you notice that he calls for “very high heat”? Teflon-lined pans like this do not last very long at high heat, so need regular replacement. It would make little sense to buy a better grade pan, especially by the case.

Also, there’re no eveness or responsiveness issues, considering what he’s cooking, cooking on and the small size of the pan.

If equipment didn’t matter, Ripert would be cooking on a $79 PIC and in a $29 Copper Chef fry pan.

1 Like

Those pans are sold to all kinds of restaurants by the tens of thousands every year - burger joints up to Michelin starred establishments.

1 Like

Sorry, meant to tell @Meekah it is ok to use Wondra. Learning all of the classic preps and ingredients is great, but it’s all about what goes on the plate.

2 Likes

If all pizza were the same, we wouldn’t talk about New York, Chicago, Napoli, or Detroit. Heck, we’d buy Red Baron instead of paying extra for DiGiorno.

2 Likes

Of course. They’re cheap enough that they can be treated as disposable when the nonstick goes by overheating or running through the Auto-Chlor.

You’re just grasping at something
 nobody can quite figure out.

All that fish being cooked in Hawaii – on nonstick, just like Le Bernardin in NYC.