Do you wash the top of tin cans before opening?

Only the ones I steal from foodbanks. They’ve probably been donated by liberal types with a poor approach to hygiene.:grin:

2 Likes

90% I don’t, but 10% I do.

I am just too lazy and never really think about wiping the top of a can before opening it. However, some cans can be pretty dusty, and the dust on a can usually remind me to wipe it with my hands.

Logistically speaking, yes, I guess it makes very good sense to wipe the top of the can with a towel.

Not all the time but sometimes. Tuna usually cuz I press the lid down into the tuna to squeeze out the liquid

2 Likes

Nah, but I’m also of the opinion that if you’re never exposed to any germs, you won’t have any defense when one finally gets through.

Now let me explain how my life works. Having stated the above, I will very soon contract a terrible wasting disease due to a dirty tin can lid.

Count on it.

5 Likes

The heck with tin cans, I"m going to start washing my steaks and ribs. WTF??? (seriously we all know the story put that merchandise back out for sale)

I don’t think I will–somehow I suspect my electric can opener wouldn’t do well in the dishwasher. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is the next brilliant idea . Can Wipes .

Yes, absolutely, for drinks. Or at least wipe them off. Unless they come covered like San Pelegrino soda, and a few others. If you have ever seen a warehouse or any storage area and see one speck of mice droppings, then you know that, whether you can see it or not, they are covered with mouse urine and feces. Mice dribble pee and poo all over the place as they scamper around.

I don’t worry as much about canned foods that are cooked since there is a percentage of rodent droppings, hair, and insect parts in the majority of processed food. Cooking kills the germs.

1 Like

Don’t know if this counts, but I already use these when I wipe my “can”.

3 Likes

I throw away my hands and get new ones every time I touch something.

2 Likes

Do you use them in the kitchen as well?

Yes since I was 10 years old. I was in Mexico and watched the mice running around all the stock in the stockroom of the little tienda. When I pointed it out to my mom, she said, " that’s why we wipe the cans/ drinks off before we open them. I have since.

2 Likes

For can food, judged by the look- usually no, just if they look dirty or dusty. A bit more often with can drinks.

never. oopsie!

I did run my can opener thru the dw this week, though!

I always forget to because my mouth waters at the sight of a diet coke. after that story, I hope I remember to more often!

1 Like

I rinse it. Not to get rid of germs, but to get rid of dust and other ‘stuff’.

1 Like

Yesterday, I did a hickory smoked tin can chicken, I thoroughly washed my can inside out, because the tin can was originally for cat food! :smile_cat: (the only opened tin I could find!)

http://www.weber.com/recipes/poultry/hickory-smoked-beer-can-chicken

Btw, the chicken was delicious…

1 Like

Yep! I always do. You never know if an insect may have crawled on top the can, and then there’s the dust. Oh and before I wash the top of a tin can, I first remove the paper that surrounds the can.

When I remember! So, mostly, nope.

2 Likes