Do you try to look like a local when you travel?

@Lectroid and @shrinkrap, my comment was tongue in cheek. I have no idea where these people running around my small southern Oregon coast town are from. One time I saw a lady in a strapless dress. I’m always amazed as I’m usually in my London Fog raincoat, boots, scarf and gloves. (I don’t do fleece or Gor-Tex)

2 Likes

Some folks are natural heaters and seem to disregard any temperature above freezing as “a perfectly nice day”

My personal band of acceptable temperatures is somewhere around 50-80deg F. Much outside of that, I’ll want to stay indoors.

2 Likes

Maybe not so much. The surfer scene between the
Westside and the Eastside was a rivalry. Born and raised in Santa Cruz
No i don’t . Where i live now . I You are not born there you are not a local . I like telling people Im a transplant. I could care less about dressing like a local . I know im not. Lol .

1 Like

I dress fashionably, so I def don’t look like a local in my ‘hometown’ (where I’ve been living for 20+ years now) - in a sea of athleisure, leggings, pajama pants & sneakers anyone more elegant will stand out. I’m good with that.

Berlin chic is hard to explain - lots of 80s “vintage” i.e. mom jeans & fugly shirts dominate, and I’m too old to follow trends. I’m good with that.

2 Likes

Does this mean I can break out my cotton sport coats with the pushed up sleeves, skinny leather ties, and low, soft boots wrapped in random straps and buckles?

Alas, I no longer have the hairline that will allow me to flop it over half my face.

4 Likes

That would be too fashionable. Berlin’s been overrun by Williamsburg hipsters who seem to make it a sport to dress as unflatteringly as possible :rofl:

puffy200-94e3a3906e9f8f9a1cab81b7c45cf4b30b33084a

1 Like

How about Water Tower Place, is it still clinging to life? I haven’t been there in maybe 15 years…

Water Tower Place

I probably haven’t been there in longer than you have. As a 'burb kid, if I was spending time in the city, it wasn’t going to be at a high end mall. There was weird live action role playing, Rocky Horror, Facets Multimedia, Second City, and the Art Institute

According to google it’s still open.

2 Likes

Well I googled but I’m still not sure what a fugly shirt is?

1 Like

f’ing ugly…(which is subjective…)

4 Likes

Fabsolutely :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks. I figured that was probably what it was.

1 Like

Apparently I don’t have to try! I have been asked for directions in cities where I have never lived or even been before, including Paris, Charleston SC, and NYC. I seem to just blend in. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

6 Likes

Try to look like a local? Not in the least.

Sure, I’ve been confused for a local in a number of places, but I’ve also been accused of being a non-local in many places. Can’t say that always ended well. Nevertheless, if somewhere has food that intrigues me, I’m going to try to visit.

I can get around in a few languages, however, so that makes the culinary tourism angle easier to grasp.