Do you try to look like a local when you travel?

I’m surprised it’s not more.

1 Like

I had to look that up! Cool!

1 Like

You probably need to be a Briton of my age to recognise what a Tardis is. They were fairly common in the early 1960s. In fact, there was one about five minutes walk from where we lived.

1 Like

This is what I found.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who-tardis-questions-appearance-how-many-people-can-it-transport/#:~:text=How%20big%20is%20the%20TARDIS,of%20a%20soundstage%20in%20Wales.

I missed out on early Dr Who episodes. When it started, it was very much a show for kids and, in my early teens, I was too old for it. I’ve been watching since 2005 when it was revised to appeal to a more adult audience with the Doctor being played by Christopher Eccleston.

Eccleston was born in Salford, one of the two cities in my metro area, so has an accent similar to mine. I remember his first episode when he introduces himself as the Doctor. Someone says “But you’re Northern…”. To which he replies “Every planet has a north”.

4 Likes

crummy clothes for older women here, thats for sure. Thats why I wear almost entirely stuff that suits any age, but its very upsetting to shop for “nice” clothes and not find anything attractive.

1 Like

Here in the Pacific Northwest everyone dresses in 3 layers of fleece, down, and Gor-Tex regardless of economic status or standing.
Or age.
:wink:

6 Likes

Yep. And it’s a drag if you’re trying to find anything suitable in the “wear to work” category. All looks like loungewear to me.

And LOTS of Birkenstock wearers here in the PNW.

1 Like

Unless they are transplants from California, they run around in the rain in cargo shorts and flip flops.

2 Likes

I grew up watching the Doctor and the version played by Eccleston is one of my favorites. I remember an episode where when asked where he was from he replied “the North.” When told he didn’t have a northern accent he said something like well there are many north’s or something like that. A tardis would be cool to have.

1 Like

I wear cargo shorts and Birkenstocks more or less 9 months of the year. I did that in Portland, and New Zealand, and So Cal, and Nor Cal, but not in Australia because I was only there for a month during their winter.

Consequently, I look like a clueless aging white dude regardless of my surroundings.

3 Likes

the simplest way to look like a local is to keep yo’ big mouth shut.
in the 1960’s “dress” was a tip off.
in the 1970’s “shoes” were a tip off.

now, everyone everywhere in the world looks like a K-Mart shopper.

the obvious is only revealed when they open their big yappers and instantaneously insult everyone within earshot.

2 Likes

You still have a K Mart?
:flushed:

3 Likes

“It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt.” -Abe Lincoln (possibly. Also attributed to Twain and various others)

2 Likes

I remember many years ago, on our first trip to italy - we had arrived early before the tourist crowds, very few americans. when we got back to rome at the end of our trip the americans had arrived and I was so embarrassed by my very loud compatriots (the rule if you speak very loudly in your own language you will be understood was being applied), Of course americans were not the only ones sticking out, but I didnt feel responsibe for the others

1 Like

Maybe some So Cal coastal communities. Maybe the ones that move away? Not these folks.

sierrasnow

8defee36-eaad-4726-94d7-25a1a2bdf1e4-AP_APTOPIX_Winter_Storm_California

But seriously, I know this is a "special " winter, but not all (most?) Californian’s live in LA or San Diego! San Francisco is always to cold for flip flops!

OMG! Does this mean I am now from California, and no longer “from” New York???

ETA “Of the total population of 38.4 million in California, 26.3 million people live in coastal portions of the state”.Feb 28, 2023

https://coast.noaa.gov › states › calif…

California - NOAA Office for Coastal Management

3 Likes

My partner grew up in SF (and Woodfield and Pacifica). Flip flops are her default footware in nearly every instance.

Then again, she’s the type that goes snowshoeing in a tshirt and jeans, and went swimming off Ocean Beach through Sept. w/o a wetsuit.

3 Likes

This winter in NYC has been special in it was incredibly mild with almost no snow.

Out west it’s been the opposite. We have left the city for a while to our place in the mountains and it’s insane. More snow than in 40 years I have been told.

This is our house.

There used to be a driveway there. Every time the plow goes by the pile grows bigger. Supposed to be more snow coming this week. Neighbors say they have had it with the snow.

Easy to look like a local here.

5 Likes

I see you @BKeats !

Interesting!

We live about half way between San Francisco and Sacramento ( closer to Sacramento) and with each set of hills between Sacramento, Vacaville, Fairfield, Vallejo, and San Francisco it seems to be about 5 degree F cooler in the summer. We thought folks could always tell folks from closer to Sacto because they were wearing T shirts and sandals (and “souvenir” sweatshirts), while folks in San Francisco were wearing scarves. In July.

On the other hand, my daughter lived in Bayview for a few years and held on to the flip flops even after she moved to New York! I was visiting her in Brooklyn a week or so ago and we had snow when she didn’t!

5 Likes