Do You Travel with Any Condiments?

I didn’t say you would disintegrate.

I just said I would not worry, never indicated that you would worry.

Although the fact that you posted this topic I think it would be safe to assume that you have some sort of concern about not having your favorite condiment at the ready, which would indicate a bit of worry I suppose. Perhaps that’s just me assuming too much.

My fault, no doubt.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I ALWAYS carry condiments when I travel. Salt and pepper for bad airline food.
Once I’m at my destination, i know I can get good food.

1 Like

Every flight I have been on has salt and pepper on board, unless it’s a short flight (like 60 minutes) in which case not sure eating a meal is really necessary, unless you’re diabetic I suppose. And even then a small snack (like cookies or fruit) would do the trick.

I’ve never thought to carry condiments. Haha. But hey if I felt the need I surely would.

I fly mostly Asian airlines on trans-Pacific routes. S&P is rarely included. If it is available, it means waiting 15 minutes while a flight attendant finds it.
In any case, I was answering the OP’s question literally. i don’t think this was really what he was asking about.

1 Like

I ususlly have truffle salt in my purse when dinning out. Some of my girlfriends like the ambiance over the food. For me the food takes priority so that is our compromise.
I like this one because the tin is light and not breakable.
I do not travel with it and roll the dice then when we try a new spot when away from home.

4 Likes

It’s the same for me when people in restaurants ask waiters/chefs to change dishes and substitute different components - why even go to the restaurant and better stay at home so you can only eat what you make. I like restaurants which clearly state that they refuse to make any changes to dishes.

1 Like

No, don’t travel with condiments of any kind while traveling, but do buy small containers of half n half for coffee in our hotel rooms, which usually have a small fridge and excellent coffee provided. When visiting relatives I sometimes have a container of instant espresso or Starbucks Via packets to fortify weak coffee, or as we call it, brown water. :rofl::joy_cat: Most relatives do enjoy decent coffee, however. Thankfully! But to each their own.

2 Likes

I stopped going to lunch with one work buddy specifically because of this. He was almost neurotic about it - I can’t think of a time he didn’t ask for something subbed. But then, he was also generally neurotic. Hypochondriac too.

Good guy though, otherwise.

1 Like

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

2 Likes

I don’t travel with condiments.

After using a nonstick skillet at a vacation rental recently, I think I will bring my own cast iron skillet and a spatula next time I stay somewhere with a kitchen.

2 Likes

I work in a school, and I know I’ll find quite a few of those packets in the cafeteria when they’re all done bolting down their quesadillas. Cholula is one of the few hots I buy. I usually prefer flakes/powder to the vinegary hot sauces.

I just like to have a few packets of red pepper flakes when I go out. I’ll also pack butter and mayo into a cooler in case we have to stop at a grocery store to pick up lunchmeat and rolls.

4 Likes

I stock up on Cholula packets when I see them at ski resort cafeterias in Montana and Colorado.

3 Likes

I travel on long flights that often have unappetizing food, especially at breakfast. I would love Cholula or similar hot sauce to dump on the food. :frowning:

3 Likes

On today’s National Public Radio:

2 Likes

Old Bay does give you that old timey, back to home, feel. I saw the recipe for it. yeah, I’ll just buy it. I was so surprised when I saw they make a hot sauce. That was a good idea.

1 Like

Vacation rentals for me and my family always include cooking. I’ve never taken a skillet/pot/pan, but I always take a knife and a cheap chopping board. If I remember, I’ll take a potato peeler too!

1 Like

I’ve taken my peeler, paring knife, white balsamic, olive oil, pepper, sea salt, and some spices when I’ve gone on ski trips.
I used to have a purse size sea salt. One fishmonger I sometimes visit sells them. Maldon or Newfoundland salt.

I need to start packing a small empty bento box in my handbag. I went to a fairly expensive fundraiser the other night, and didn’t take my mask off, so I didn’t enjoy any of the perks the unmasked attendees were enjoying. I wish I’d taken some snacks to go. LOL.

2 Likes

When I travel and will be in a place where I’ll be cooking, I bring herbs and spices - I sometimes sort them in a day-of-the week pill box. They’re expensive and there are other things I’d rather bring home as souvenirs. Sometimes I will make a mix of spices for Cincinnati Chili, for example. Always a duo of supermarket sea salt and pepper grinders. A good knife and an instant read thermometer. Various sized ziplocks, cheap paper plates (can use as cutting boards and for picnics) and aluminum foil that I slide off of the cardboard roll - it folds down to nothing. And I do love Cholula!

1 Like