Do you still post on Chowhound?

lol or you can post a dish looking like turd too. Nobody will bat an eye.

I still look at the UK board perhaps once a week - more in hope than expectation. The last post was 10 days ago and the one previous to that was me a month ago and the one previous to that was two months ago. Occasionally, an old thread that Iā€™ve contributed to pops up and Iā€™ll go and have a look at that.

1 Like

I had an awesome experience last weekā€¦berated over a deliberate misinterpretation of something I posted three years ago. Fun stuff.

3 Likes

He was a Seek-and-Destroy Mission of One. And now heā€™s moved on to Walmartā€™s grocery division. I found this wording amusing:

"I am a Senior Director of Product Management at Walmart.com. I run Product for Walmartā€™s Grocery business as well all things Omni-channel.

Prior to Walmart, I was a Vice President at CBS Interactive where I ran Chowhound, the pioneering food lover community platform. I relaunched the business, rebuilt the product experience, and grew revenue and profits. "

Yeah, you rebuilt the product experience so well that itā€™s turned into a virtual ghost town. But obviously, the ā€œrevenue and profitsā€ from ad clicks are all that matters to him. Screw the long-term customer experience.

So heā€™s at Walmart - the armpit of the mega-stores. A fitting location.

5 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

I thought that, after several visits to the country, I was getting quite good at understanding American English but this beats me. Does it actually mean anything or is it just fucking gibberish?

5 Likes

Gibberish to me!

2 Likes

Itā€™s mostly resume/CV gibberish, especially for Georges who knows jackshit about making for a good customer experience, IMO. But ā€œomni-channelā€ means ANYTHING oriented towards retail marketing, both online and offline, provided in a unified and seamless manner, all working together to provide the customer with the ā€œbest experienceā€: online via computer or mobile, on the phone, or offline in brick-and-mortar stores.

Should you have any desire to know more about it, @Harters, this blog explains it very well, using actual companies as examples of how they can and do follow the customer to make for the best interaction with them: Disney, Virgin Atlantic, the U.K.'s Oasis stores, etc.

2 Likes

Jeez. Iā€™m way too old for that crap.

5 Likes

I havenā€™t posted there since September of 2015. I posted a couple of lines as a farewell to the site on their ā€œWelcome to the New Chowhoundā€ thread.

I had intended that to be my final word there, but when Hungry Onion was created I posted a few more pseudo-posts about food to sneak in info to let people know about Hungry Onion. (those posts were quickly deleted, and I got a warning letter from Chowhound, but maybe a few people were directed here by those posts)

At some point I got an e-mail from Chowhound saying they were doing a password reset or some such. I didnā€™t do whatever they requested, and now I canā€™t even log in and donā€™t care.

3 Likes

I occasionally post a photo, but keep comments to a bare minimum. Iā€™m not providing free content to them anymore.

Iā€™ve also been slowly deleting my old posts, because I donā€™t want them to own my content. Itā€™s taking forever, though. You have to delete each comment and post individually. :roll_eyes:

I didnā€™t think you could delete.

Besides, Iā€™ve contributed so much that it would take forever. The Top Chef recap threads alone would take out a lot of content (not that I believe anyone goes back to re-read them.) And if you start a thread and delete it (like a WFD thread), would it delete the entire thread?

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Iā€™m mostly deleting my cooking posts. I canā€™t even imagine trying to delete all my posts. That would be the way to madness. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Watching Caitlin post on like nothingā€™s wrong is painful. :disappointed_relieved:
I hope they pay her well for this.

Is it just my feed, or has the rest of Chowhound completely died out? Only Homecooking threads on my feed and itā€™s sputtering along.

4 Likes

I installed some updates recommended by the manufacturer but the computer wouldnā€™t restart. The geeks at work said itā€™s been a problem with folks and reset everything pro bono but everything was wiped out.

Chowhound was wiped out and I wonā€™t be resetting my account.

Thereā€™s still more Manhattan-based discussion on Chowhound than on Hungry Onion. Hereā€™s an apples-to-apples comparison: saregama makes an identical query on Hungry Onion and on Chowhound. There, s/he gets three responses. Here, s/he gets zero.

I suppose thatā€™s logical. CH had a large user base so, even with those people who decamped to here or those who simply disappeared, thereā€™s still a sizeable base. Furthermore, I suspect that non-users who may Google for something are more likely to find a previous CH thread than a similar HO one (if such yet exists).

1 Like

In sports, I generally root for a team. On food boards, I peruse many & participate if/when something interesting comes up. CH has been most useful to me on the Outer Boroughs Board (very good recent commentary on various Mexican places), as well as the Italy Board. The France Board misses some old timers, but seems viable enough.

1 Like

Agree with all that. And I also think that while a lot of the NJ folk migrated here, and a lot of the LA folk migrated to FTC, many of the Manhattan posters still visit all three sites (pace SteveRā€™s recent post).

1 Like

It was going to be my first post on restaurants here (and on FTC - also zero responses so far) - from reading past restaurant discussions, I expected more opinions here than on CH, so Iā€™m a bit surprised itā€™s been the other way.

Itā€™s really the ongoing nyc restaurant chatter I miss - insta, Yelp, other stuff donā€™t replace person-to-person food chats.

1 Like