Do you salt the water when boiling vegetables ?

Oh, def. I always nuke my corn.

MW is fab for steaming fish filets, too. So underused for just reheating things, that poor machine…

Never salt water for veggies, but I never boil veggies.

Either steam, or MW and then into a hot pan with a little oil.

So… when do you add the salt?

Not everything needs salt. My question is “Why add salt?”

I enjoy the naural flavors of almost every vegetable without salt.

1 Like

I prefer cooks’ answers to scientists’ answers. But if you don’t like your vegetables cooked with salt, don’t do it. You’re the cook!

Because salt brings out the flavor of many foods. Their “natural” flavors.

Sorry L, I disagree. It does not “bring out” the flavors but presents one of the other five tastes, salt.

I am not one to salt a potato (think french fries), a steak, chicken, burger, etc. but when I enjoy the natural flavors of the veggies, no need to. There is a chef in town that salts his salads, adds an interesting complexity, but no need. I also like my caramels without the sea salt.

Just a personal preference at times.

Forgetting about salt specifically, the power of certain combinations of tastes to concatenate the flavor of one or the other is a reality. The easiest example is pairing wine with food. Wine has the ability to “bring out” flavors in food, and vice versa. Certain foods will “bring out” the particular flavors in the wine. (or negatively alter the taste of the wine).

You might argue salt isn’t in that category, and I’m not going to argue with you or your tastebuds, but you seemed to be dismissing entirely that for many people salt brings out flavors in food.

1 Like

HT

Sorry for the confusion. I am not dismissing, by any stretch, that the tongue and mouth react quite differently to two ingredients together or in close proximity than each independently.

I am a HUGE proponent of the interaction of various components of taste. The first time I tasted Foie gras and Sauterne it was amazing. The correct wine can either fight with or enhance the experience. I do not believe it “brings out” more flavor, but I firmly believe it tingles different parts of the sensories to create a different taste-synergy.

Ketchup and salt do not bring out the flavor of French fries, but it sure as heck makes them better.

If my posts came across differently I hope this clarifies.

Sure. I don’t think ketchup brings out the flavor in french fries. It’s more like the french fries are a vehicle for eating ketchup. And sprinking salt on things gives the flavor of salt – but that is not quite what we’re discussing here. I don’t think I’d want to eat boiled potatoes that weren’t cooked in salted water. Nor would I be satisfied to add it later. Others may prefer doing it some other way.