Do you read the label for ingredients and nutritional information ?

For processed foods . Don’t buy a lot of this , but looking at these labels gets confusing . Some weigh theirs different . Fat content per serving , on and on . Seems like there is a lot of jibber jabber . If you do read the label . What do you look for ?

Yes, I do look at these labels. Mostly to see what ingredients are there. Instead of use the information as an absolutely determination. I usually use it as relative. I look at two or three variations of the same products --e.g reading 3 cans of pasta sauces and see which one looks more attractive to me.

Rarely. Like you, I use few processed foods so I figure if I want it it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I did find something interesting (to me) with a non-food product. It was recommended that I use a water-based moisturizer on a ‘wound’ for a couple of weeks. The first one I got (shame on me) showed water as the first ingredient so I bought it. But further down in the list were various oils. I’m donating it.

Yes, I read the labels, particularly of items that may well be high in sugar such as yoghurts and muesli. I have Type 2 diabetes and the usual guideline recommended by my GP is to look for less than 10% sugars. Can be tricky. A lot of “low fat” products have increased sugar content.

I, too look at the sugar content, but more because of my flavor preferences. I prefer breakfast cereals not too sweet, and don’t want any sugar in items like hot sauce.

no.

Unless I’m looking to exclude something specifically. For example, I was looking for a Worcestershire Sauce that used natural sugar instead of HFCS. I read dozens of labels, mostly Asian products, before finally looking at Lea & Perrins, which was the only one I found that used sugar.

yep. fat, sodium, and sugar.

1 Like

I don’t buy a ton of processed food but when I do, I tend to read the labels. Looking for HFCS vs sugar, and whether or not water is the first ingredient listed (if it is I’ll move on to another brand). If cooking for vegans then obviously looking for products that exclude animal products.

1 Like

I don’t buy a ton of processed food but I do check the labels on everything I buy. I look specifically for sugar/carbohydrate content and trans fats, and reject products that don’t meet my needs in those regards.

1 Like

Yes, I read most processed food labels. I’m looking for sodium and sugar content, whether it has HFCS as an ingredient (many things do - often as the first or second ingredient!). I’m glad that Heinz finally reintroduced their original ketchup without HFCS. It tastes what I remember ketchup tasting like.

Yes, absolutely. If there’s something I’m don’t know or want to learn about I make a photo of the label or write it down to do further research at home.

I want even better food/product labelling and packaging. They are always finding new ways of hiding things from us consumers!

1 Like

I don’t buy much processed food, but I amuse myself sometimes by reading the posted ingredients at the Trader Joe’s sample table. Their lentil soup might contain a half page of oddly-named things. My own is lentils, onion, spices and stock. Why, oh, why?

3 Likes

Really, they took out the HFCS?

I’m diabetic, so I look for carbs, first and foremost, then added gum thickeners, hydrogenated fats or hydrolyzed proteins because they’re crud I prefer not to eat. It’s very rare that I buy packaged foods that aren’t very dark chocolate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t speak to that, but the bottle I bought showed “sugar” and no “HFCS”. I was surprised because I just assumed it would have been the first to go the cheaper route.

Here’s a wiki link that provides a list of the ingredients.

It shows they reverted from HFCS to sugar in 2011.

1 Like

Yep, just looked at our bottle. Sugar, no HFCS.

1 Like

ShopRite ketchup also dropped the HFCS.

FWIW, products that are kosher for Passover will not have HFCS (or soy products). (The fact that the KFP Coke with the yellow cap has sugar and not HFCS is already fairly widely known.) So if you want to stock up on items that normally have HFCS, now’s the time.

I religiously read anything i intend to eat that has a label- mostly the ingredients list, first to make sure it’s vegetarian and evaluate if there’s wonky stuff I don’t especially want in my food.
If portion size is tiny or silly (half a muffin?) i notice that, or if one portion is a bazillion calories/fat etc i take note of that too.
I actually found my favorite pretzel sticks by choosing the ones with the highest sodium :)) rold gold pretzel sticks (the little skinny ones) for the record

2 Likes

I avoid HFCS, all forms of soy, seed oils like canola and a few other things so I’m a label reader on the odd occasion I buy something in a package.

Only if they package in glass, not plastic. Sir Kensington’s ketchup is the best. Mayo, too.