Do you like prepping for a recipe?

Combine 1 small chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic, 4 dried medium-sized chiles (6 only if they’re small),
1/4c coconut milk (+), 1tsp turmeric, 1Tbsp coriander, 1Tbsp cumin, 1/4tsp cinnamon, 1tsp ground peppercorns, 1/4c lemon juice, 2Tbsp cashews or almonds, and 3Tbsp vinegar (++) in the blender. Pour over fish (+++); bake at 350F for 25 min.

(+) Or 1/2T dry coconut milk and 1/4c water
(++) The original called for white vinegar, which I found too harsh; I use cider vinegar.
(+++) I usually use cod or pollock. Salmon doesn’t seem right, and fish like flounder, basa, or tilapia seem too “weak” for the sauce. (Plus I don’t want to buy fish from China or southeast Asia, which somewhat limits the choices.)

This originally came from THE WHOLE CHILE PEPPER, but I’ve tweaked it here and there.

2 Likes

Thank you for writing all this up!

I cannot tell a lie–I pretty much did a cut-and-paste from my recipe file.

1 Like

It really depends. If I have plenty of time and something interesting to listen too I can enjoy it. If time is limited it becomes more of a chore. Even when I’m not in that zone there can still be satisfacion in the prep work. One of the pluses of cooking solo is I can usually change the menu if desired!

2 Likes

If I don’t feel like prepping. 3 eggs scrambled with ketchup on the side .

2 Likes

I took a fair amount of chemistry in undergrad. Hated quantitative analysis. You had to measure everything precisely. Kinda like baking. I rarely bake

Liked organic chemistry. Add this and this and you get this. Like general cooking. I rarely measure anything nor follow recipes. When I do look at recipes it’s for general concept, then wing it from there most often

3 Likes

I actually enjoy it. Up to a point. It’s still work. I’m not bad with a knife and consider the prep just part of the process

Cutting up whole chickens or deboning is not something I shy away from. Keeps me flush with chicken stock. And while I can fillet whole fish I don’t buy it as often. What I miss when buying fillets is the carcass for seafood stock.

1 Like

Sounds like my great grandmother’s recipes!

1 Like

BINGO. Cream cheese scrambled eggs with a toasted English muffin is about all I can muster on the days I just. don’t. feel. like. it.

2 Likes

It depends my energy-level that day. If I have full energy, then I find it interesting and fun. If I am tired and busy, then I find myself to cook simple dishes to avoid these preparation. Of the washing/peeling, cubing and chopping, I often find cubing and chopping to be fun (because they involve knife works), but I don’t find washing all that fun.

1 Like

OMG flashbacks about chemistry and organic chemistry! I’m remembering going through all those meticulous steps, taking hours, and even days, then in the end, having to weigh your outcome on a filter, and if it didn’t come out the expected number of milligrams…FAIL!

Not organic. You didn’t have weight anything. At least I didn’t.

This get me thinking… what if one day we can automated all cooking?

We have food processors, slow cooker, automatic dish washer…etc. I guess prep and cleaning have never been easier, and it will be only getting easier. However, as old fashion as I am, I won’t want automated knife work or automated cooking. Automated dish washing is fine for me. :grinning:

2 Likes

Ha, there’s a here in Boston where the food is cooked all by robots. I’ve never tried but I’ve heard that it’s pretty good. It’s a lunch place, so it doesn’t have the full menu of a dinner restaurant.

https://www.spyce.com/

Way way back before '87, my husband’s firm did a patent on robots that worked as waiters. They had a few samples, were used in the office to serve drinks. He never brought any home, occasionally, when he had to watch my son, there would lots and lots of toys my son could play with but never allowed to bring home.

Right. I believe the video I have above is Spyce. Started by four students. It is supposed to be cheap and fast, and crazy amount of customization.

When one day this becomes more affordable at home, then a great food processor and a robotic cooker is all you need. You won’t even need to prep, cook, nor wash. You just need to buy. :joy:

I guess thermomix is the beginning.