Do you have a rotating set dinner menu/framework?

This has been interesting and fun to read. We’re baby steps into our 70’s, no kids, our friends are dropping like flies - we live in a remote place overrun by tourists in the summer and that’s when we might have an occasional houseguest or 2 at this point in our lives. We don’t have any set menus - now that the pandemic has ended we’re back to opening the refrigerator and seeing what needs to be used. We batch cook and also shop for sales and use our freezer a lot. We tend to cook meals at home more in the crush of the summer than any other time because there are too many people out here and restaurants are up to their eyeballs busy. I lust after some of the meal plans I see posted here. I’ve had a long journey through treatments for advanced breast cancer - residual problems with my palate and energy/stamina. I was the creative cook, but my DH has taken that role - I’ve been his mentor. Some days I don’t even have the energy or appetite to open a can of soup.

12 Likes

Oh, most definitely. My wife’s 2011 Expedition stopped - completely stopped - running A/C. I found out via youtube that the problem was this little thing called the blower motor resistor. Replaced for about $80 (as-in, had the teen son sit his ass upside down in the passenger compartment to replace it). Teen sons are rarely good for much, but he was good for that. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We need a “Hug” expression here. @sck?

I’m on some other Discourse-run platforms where they’ve expanded the response button to 10 or even 12 options (like (forks-up, here), hugs, heart, frowny, etc.).

Just a thought…

3 Likes

…and maybe “confused”?

3 Likes

That’s kind of you. Sometimes I feel a little embarrassed about sharing stuff about myself but I love this little HO community. I learn a lot about food and life here. It’s a nice escape from mine sometimes…

8 Likes

Not quite, but there is a “Thinking about it” response.

Here’s the panoply at one Discourse-run place I visit - heart (like), laughing, shocked, crying, angry about it, hugs, thinking, eyeroll about it, party face, spot-on, clownish, and gross/vomit.

2 Likes

I thought emojis come from your device and not from the website you’re visiting, so what’s available is what people have on their phones or computers. Is this not true?

I hear you! There have been many inspiring meal discussions on this board. So many new options! I love that your dear one is being tutored and you two can work together to create some wonderful meals.

5 Likes

:people_hugging: :hugs:

On the top row of the reply box, 3rd in from the right is an emoji button. Includes a search option and I found two HUG emoji’s, showing above. Is that device dependent?

You’re right, looks like we’re fully emoji-fied up in here. :disguised_face:

I think he means alternatives to the knife & fork vs. having to actually write a reply (so tedious! :wink:) to express something more specific than … I want to eat your comment (?).

5 Likes

Yes, this. :arrow_up:

Regarding menu planning, we tend to have a lot of food on hand so I rarely do much planning. I tend to go for soup (often from the freezer) once a week, then plan dinner during the work day when my mind wanders. I work from home so I can trot downstairs to defrost, marinate, whatever. During summer and fall, I am at farmers markets several times a week so centerpiece of the meal is often whatever I got there.

7 Likes

Hi there, we started three “anchors” to our week’s menus during Covid and kept to them. We also have two kids in their 20s still living at home.
Friday nights, instead of “ordering in” we make the kind of food you would order in: burgers, pizza, philly cheese subs, etc. and for one night a week we eat around the TV, watching a comedy series we all like. Saturday night is pasta night, with an endless series of choices. Sunday, we make a large “protein” dinner, roast chicken, roast beef, roast pork, BBQ lamb, etc. This is in case we have company, and it gives us leftovers for lunch to start the week. Monday through Thursday, we have things we repeat a lot. Fish twice a week - usually salmon, cod, or fish tacos. Asian stir-fry another night, and again, some family favourites that yield leftovers: meatloaf, chilli, dishes like chicken-zucchini meatballs, etc. I’m always open to new recipes, specials at the market, or just keeping an eye on the family. If we’re having a tough week, I may suddenly pull out some favourite dishes to cheer everyone up. To sum up: some rules to give us structure and then play the rest by ear!

12 Likes

Correct. Discourse is quite configurable. OTOH, some members at the other `sites I’m on complain that we’ve got too many “click-to-respond” options. Those same members are mostly those who would do away with even the heart/like option, though.

2 Likes

This sounds perfect to me! :heart:

As someone who left Facebook before it added options beyond the “like” button (no laughing faces, thumbs down, etc back in 2016), I don’t feel the need for more but understand why others might.

In 2023:

Roast chicken most Mondays
Then chicken some other way Tuesday (coronation, country captain, enchiladas)
Wed seafood, pork or lamb
Thu pork or lamb
Fish on Fri
Ribeye Sat
Take-out Sunday

2 Likes

:+1: Thumbs up? I can’t get this on my Kindle, but okay on lap top.
:hugs:

I * wish * I could say that I have a framework, at the very least. My planning generally is centered on the 8.5lbs of fish and seafood we get delivered monthly. I am cooking for two, so this is usually more than enough for the month for meals that lean pescatarian or plant forward most days. My guidelines are, typically, anything that may involve a bit of a project happen (or at least start) on the weekend - stock making, a stuffed item (like squid). On weeks that I really have my act together, I may do as much of the mise en place that will hold for the week on Sat./Sun. I use the weekend to gather what recipes I think I am going to use (for those things that need recipes) and get the groceries ordered and delivered. After that, the rule of thumb is to try and keep it varied so that there is come variance in the type of meal or style of cuisine, as well as type of fish or shellfish (two orange fleshed fish recipes in the same week is not likely to happen and I probably won’t follow shrimp with squid). If I can hit a COTM, COTQ, or DOTQ, I try to work that in as well. So, this week:

Sun. - Tortellini and cauliflower with walnut pesto
Mon. - Stuffed eggplant with peanuts, coconut, and tamarind (stuffing made ahead of time)
Tues. - Shrimp Mozambique with chorizo and mushroom rice pilaf
Wed. - Leftover eggplant
Thurs. - Wild card right now, but I am leaning toward Epis Rubbed Artic Char, because I have some epis in the freezer I can use.
Fri. - Usually delivery sushi.
Sat. - We’re discussing if we will go out somewhere, as it is the last Saturday of my school vacation. Otherwise, delivery again or an excuse to make hot spinach and cheese dip to eat with tortilla chips and adult beverages. Or maybe the pimiento cheese in the freezer. Something. I’ll start figuring out next week’s plans around this point as well.

The biggest thing I’ve learned is “The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley.” Bobbie Burns fans will recognize that as “The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry”. I am very fortunate that on the days that the meal plan doesn’t seem executable (sadly, more often than not depending on what is happening at work) BF is fine with having (and often paying for) delivery! Life happens.

8 Likes