Do you care about where goods are made?

You are not most people then. :grinning:

1 Like

Dog foods for Americans, but real human foods for Chinese. It was a very sad case.

2 Likes

It got into their baby formula too.

2 Likes

Sorry. That is what I mean. Many Chinese babies got sick, and some died. The ironic thing? After many many Chinese infants and children got sick, it got no attention. It wasnā€™t Americanā€™s dogs and cats died, then Americans complain to Canadian company Menu Foods, and then Menu Foods investigated and traced back to milk products from China.

In short, even after many Chinese children got sick and died, there was no action got done until the international pressure from American dogs and cats died. Sad, isnā€™t it?

3 Likes

Why thank you, I guess :slight_smile:

I am anti-clutter and anti-gadget. After a long life as a consumerist slave, I finally am free!!! Free!!!
I have clear kitchen counters to do stuff on - make noodles, prep food, etc. All without rearranging appliances before and after. It is just so great. I wish I had seen the light 40 years ago.

3 Likes

Many people on HO are atypical.

2 Likes

More than sad. Many words come to mind, sad is the most benign of those.

It seems to me that a predominant value seems to be how things are made, followed closely by concerns over the country of origin for its treatment of specific groups and its lax environmental standards, but only a few seem interested in the carbon footprint of shipping halfway around the world, especially on an expedited (airplane) basis. How sad that we just discovered some nifty thing for our kitchen and need it immediately, even though until recently we knew nothing about it.

3 Likes

I know what you mean.

Thank you for starting such an interesting discussion. I really liked how you framed the question with negative and positive examples.

If I was actively buying new kitchen wares now, I would have written a different response.

1 Like

You should start to buy more products from Denmark, thenā€¦if we had any worth buying :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I do care a lot where the products I buy are made.

Itā€™s impossible to completely avoid products made in China (MIC), but instead af just accepting, that a Volvo is MIC, Iphone is MIC and a lot of spare parts are MIC, so in essense itā€™s impossible to completely avoid buying products MIC, I simply do my best to limit the amount of stuff, thatā€™s MIC.

I also from time to time call danish brands and ask them where their products are made, and if I hear MIC, I let them know my opinion as a consumer.

I think Europe made a mistake in the early 90ā€™s by beginning to outsource production plants and facilities to Eastern Europe and Asia, especially China.

We should have kept the production of vital parts within Europe and accepted the price increase instead of letting countries halfway around the world produce the parts for us.

The fottprint on the environment by shipping things half way around the world, and sometimes back again for assemly for instance, just does not seem logical unless you look at it purely from a capitaliastic PIV.

After corona you now see the US investing billions in production facilities, that will produce microchips, because China canā€™t be relied on as much as some believed.

After Russsias little war in Ukraine, the geniusses in Europe have found out we perhaps should not rely on Russia, when it comes to our energy consumption and heating plants in Europe.

I try to avoid buying products made in countries, where I donā€™t agree with the regime or the countreis political system.
I also think itā€™s unhealthy to rely on one specific country as the makes of many many of the vital spareparts of the production plants and facilities in Europe.

Europe should instead produce these parts themselves and not rely on regime run countries half way around the world - also for the carbon footprint alone, shipping things half way around the world just does seem to be the way forward for our modern world any longer based on the climate changes we see these days.

As for cookware - I preferably buy cookware made in Europe, but I do make mistakes once in a while and the two Zwilling Pro frying pans I bought, naively assuming they were made by Demeyere in Belgium, turned out to be MIC. The pans are great, thick PLY, actually as thick as Demeyere Apollo, close to 4 mm in thicklness, the pans perform great, heat and up down almost like my 2.5 copper pans, and seem to be built really well - but they are MIC, which just proves that China can make excellent high quality products just fine, like Iphone, Volvo cars etc. - but I still try to limit the cookware I buy to european made cookware.

I like to support danish made products and european made products first, then US/Canadien made products, then other countries after that.

Iā€™ll never support products MIC, nor products made in the middle east (what do they make besides pumping up oil anyway ?) and I avoid products made in Russia like the plague at the moment.

7 Likes

Anything can be justified if itā€™s wanted badly enough.

I believe a few years ago the Scanpan was pretty popular and they were considered one of the more durable nonstick cookware. They proudly claim to be made in Denmark. Bought any?

1 Like

Yes, Scanpan was the first cookware I bought after moving into my first apartment in the 90ā€™s.

Unfortunately their PLY/Stainlessteel/copper cookware is all MIC.
Their non stick cookware is made in Denmark.

I donā€™t think Scanpan cookware is up there in quality with Demeyere, Mauviel, Ballarini, De Buyer, Fissler, Lagostina and Eva trio (another danish brand of cookware, that unfortunately have ALL their cookware MIC, but their PLY line is made like the iPhone & Volvo - HIGH HIGH thick top quality and Iā€™m addicted to their choice of 4 different type of lids, one of them a pour thorugh lid, where you can pour the liquid directly from the pot without doing anything but holding on to the two handles - the lid has a silicone opening, that opens once the liquid presses onto the lid)

Their CTX line looks like really high quality - and if I wasnā€™t such a HUGE fan of my Mauviel Mā€™Stone ceramic non stick cookware and my Demeyere Alu Pro non stick pans (made by Ballarini, also Zwilling owned company) I would surely own 2-3 Scanpan non stick pans.
The other Scanpan lines made in PLY/Stainless steel unfortunately to me donā€™t seem to be of the same high quality as the non stick lines, which also indicates itā€™s made abroad (MIC), so Scanpan is not at the very top of my cookware wishlist - but it hovers in the area just beneath the TOP TOP cookware lines in my opinion.

But Iā€™m also a die hard cookware enthusiast, so take my words with a grain of salt - Scanpan is high quality cookware. But itā€™s not something guys like Kaleo, Damiano or Tim would look intoā€¦

1 Like

I own an older GM work truck and GM has discontinued making the majority of replacement parts for this vehicle. I am thankful that I can get ā€œMade in Chinaā€ replacement parts, otherwise my truck would have gone to the scrapper and been crushed.

4 Likes

For years , my nonstick pan was a scan pan. Never wore it out.

1 Like

I had a scanpan at some point but did not like it at allā€¦ Iā€™ve since been using a Le Creuset nonstick pan which I absolutely do love. Itā€™s not as thick as the Ballarini - I think itā€™s around 4mm aluminum - but for me thatā€™s perfect, plus itā€™s a smaller size at 22cm. I do need to preheat the LC to get the best results.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently considering a Made In stock pot, and I think Iā€™ll pull the trigger at Christmas time. Iā€™m done with China. Iā€™ll by Thai (obviously Kiwi lover here). Closer to home, the more likely Iā€™ll consider the purchase.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a really good book Poorly Made in China by Paul Midler written in 2010. Itā€™s not an anti-Chinese rant but more of a ā€œwhat youā€™re dealing with when you try to get products MICā€. The takeaway is that theyā€™ll do whatever they can to reduce costs without asking which too often has disastrous results. Prime example-- plastic bottle of hand lotion was made with thinner walls. They found out the hard way when a whole cargo container on its way to the U.S. started leaking. Even though the U.S. company had a contract about the lotionā€™s formula it didnā€™t about the bottle. The author wrote a follow up in 2017 which I havenā€™t read.

6 Likes