Dish-of-the-month (Jan-Feb 2016)- Dumpling

We have swede in North America – but we call them rutabagas.

Same as Sunshine, here we called them rutabaga too.

I don’t know how to crimp or pleat! The sealing looks appalling. Others probably prefer crumbly dough but I prefer mine chewy. Made the dough from scratch which was easy but the rolling took most time and strength.

Filling is minced lamb with kebap spices.

5 Likes

Looks like bun or bread, but surely they must tasted delicious.

Which cuisine was that ? Moroccan ?

I just used packaged kebab spice mix from Turk store.

Next time I shall experiment with other fillings.

1 Like

I originally have planed to make either Chinese or Japanese dumpling, but these days I’m too busy with work and to go to Paris to buy the essential ingredients and February is ending soon. My plan b, Yotam Ottolenghi’s parsnip dumplings in broth.

The recipe is here: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/jan/06/foodanddrink.recipes2

Another review here: http://lisacohen.typepad.com/my_weblog/2014/04/parsnip-dumpling-soup.html

Here is the final result

I add some chicken broth instead of just water, the soup is really good with the prunes. As for the dumplings, I feel it’s a bit chewy…I think the vegetable and the starch proportion isn’t right. I will add some more potato to see if I can improve the remaining (not cooked yet). I suspected the quantity stated in the book isn’t right. From the online recipe, it is 60g flour. Plenty book said 1/2 cup of flour. I followed the book, unfortunately.

The broth itself is worth a remake.

2 Likes

When I look at your dumpling, it reminds me of the Chinese dim sum, Fried Sui Gok or Mixed puff with pork. The shell is supposedly to be a bit “chewy” and quite thick.

^^ This one looks nice. Don’t think I’ve ever had it.

Your parsnip dumplings look really good but yes, do experiment with quantities of starch/veg/liquid. Make a smaller portion first and test that.

Yours must be quite a bit sweeter than my swede dumplings. Parsnips are sweet, I love them.

Unfortunately, I have no time today for my weekend cooking projects. Going to my regular pub for a beer tasting event after lunch. (My Coulommiers and Livarot are warming up on the windowsill as we speak)

I made it under the wire :slight_smile: Last night’s dinner included har gow (thanks Andrea Nguyen) and cha gio (a Vietnamese egg roll type thing made with rice paper stuffed with ground pork, shrimp and other good things.

I had intended to do a lot more but life interfered.

2 Likes

I think we need to extend this! I was just too busy to do more this month.

What’s your recipe for Har Gow ? I’ll love making that.

I redo a second batch, with the remaining broth, this time it turned out really good! More vegetables were used in the dumpling, especially potato, It was sweet but equilibrium with the broth.

This second batch was more moist than the first batch. (Photo before cooking)

1 Like

I actually found pretty much the exact recipe on CH.

I find bamboo shoots boring so have always substituted water chestnuts finely minced. And I just pinch the dumplings closed. When I took her class she assured us that their looks don’t matter - they’ll still taste good.

No longer Feb. but just found this link for all sorts of dumplings:

2 Likes

Wow thanks, it’s all there!

This Take-out dumpling potluck tweet went viral!

4 Likes