Discussion: Food Trends (or Hype) which has Faded

That seems to me a very minimal difference between stock and “bone broth”. Mostly semantics.

1 Like

Well, by that definition, there is also a minimal difference between broth and stock.

Stock is gelatinous from the bones. Broth is thin. That’s my distinction anyway.

I agree with you. The only thing is, sometimes you order chili or bbq that’s very different from what you were expecting (maybe even craving). So it can be disappointing.
The hospital where I work has chili for the chili dogs at the grill that’s really not like any chili I would expect if ordering a bowl of chili, but it’s awesome on hot dogs, whatever it is.
And oddly enough, their vegetarian chili is REALLY good, which is fairly surprising. I want to recreate it at home, in fact. And it’s completely different from the chili dog chili.

1 Like

When I first heard the term bone broth it made my skin crawl because it was being prayed to as the new super all curing food fad wonder drug diet craze BS that rotates around and around. You can say there is a difference but it’s pretty much what your grandma did to make sure nothing went to waste and it tasted good except I’m pretty sure grandma’s tasted better

4 Likes

Grandma’s was always better!

1 Like

We definitely don’t have the same grandma.

3 Likes

Agree. Let’s not overly romanticize grandma.

2 Likes

one of my grandmothers was a fabulous cook – the other one, not so much. But they both loved us with every fiber of their being, so it all worked out.

3 Likes

Is/was freezing ingredients with liquid nitrogen ever really a thing? If it is/was I wish it would/did go away. And that is/was how I feel about that! ;o)

I am in a business trip in Richmond, Virginia, and realize that Japanese Rama seems to appear more widely. I don’t mean more Rama shops. I mean American restaurants with a Rama item.

Stock is made from bones (and meat most of the time)

Broth is made from meat – no bones

I’ve eaten Korean many times in Palisades Park, which is indeed almost a seemingly exclusive Korean enclave. But never BBQ.

Also lots of Korean in Ridgefield Pary and Little Ferry as well as Fort Lee.

Do you mean Ramen or is there a Japanese specialty I’ve missed?

Sorry. I meant Ramen soup noodle